Catsailor.com

NACRA 5.5 as F18 ?

Posted By: WetRat

NACRA 5.5 as F18 ? - 12/04/10 07:28 PM

Has anyone knowledge of any attempts to race a NACRA 5.5 as a low budget F18? I know the mast is a few inches too long (hacksaw)and the original weight is a bit too low (natural waterlogging and corrector weight) and it would need a spinnaker. I'm not looking for a C2 killer, just an affordable entry to the game.
Posted By: Baltic

Re: NACRA 5.5 as F18 ? - 12/05/10 12:38 PM

As far as I know, the jib is much too big and you will be handicapped since it is practically impossible to mount a self-tacking jib. The mast-rotation is an outhaul which needs to taken care of on every maneuver upwinds, and and and.
You will be much better off to look for an older Hobie Tiger, they are pretty cheap right now and there are lots around.
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: NACRA 5.5 as F18 ? - 12/13/10 05:47 PM

You would be able to start with the Nacra 5.5 platform. The rest will be tricky if you are not a nautical engineer. Boats are designed to be balanced based on sail to board CGs. If you make a smaller jib or larger fathead main you will throw off the balance. I think by the time you get it all right you will be many hours and $s out. Maybe think about Baltic's idea of a used Tiger. They are still very competitive boats in the class.

Later,
Dan
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums