Catsailor.com

Infusion F18 pitchpole

Posted By: Just Sail

Infusion F18 pitchpole - 06/13/11 04:15 PM

I originally posted this on the SA mulithull forum but it was suggested that here would be a better spot.

So new Infusion owner here. This weekend was the first time out in the new boat in a decent wind. The boat is fast and a lot of fun. We flew the spin on a reach and did not pitchpole. We came close once when we hit a large wave and stuffed the bow in. The boat decelerated hard I (the crew) grabbed the shroud on the way past and the bow popped out after we came to a virtual stop. When we stuffed the bow I was at the rear of the boat (foot on the stern) and my skipper was beside the rear beam. (all weight was aft and lots of it)

My question is what do we do if we have a little bit of warning that we are about to pitchpole to help prevent it or stop it? (head up, down, sheet in, sheet out, pray)

This morning my body aches all over and I have bruises, stiff muscles and a stupid grin on my face that I can't get off.

Life is good
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: Infusion F18 pitchpole - 06/13/11 04:41 PM

Saw your post on SA thought I would answer it here.

You are right to have the weight back. You should have footstraps on the transom. I like the back of them to actually be attached to the transom while the front will be attached to the deck...that far back! As the skipper you will feel the spinsheet rubbing against you occasionally, no concern just pointing it out.

You obviously do not want to dig the bow in. If you see that the bow is going too low you can drive the boat down to leeward, while going downwind, to save the bow from diving and your crew from acting as a human pendulum.

Keep the questions coming if I did not answer to your complete satisfaction.

Later,
Dan DeLave
Posted By: F18_VB

Re: Infusion F18 pitchpole - 06/13/11 04:47 PM

To add to Dan's statement, not only should the crew be as far back as possible, but the crew should stay there when the hull starts going under. With the crew still in the foot strap it is nearly impossible to pitchpole.

Anticipating when the hull will go under is important. If you can, you should head down before it goes under and then head back up as soon as possible. That means you need to be paying attention to the waves and the wind.
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Infusion F18 pitchpole - 06/13/11 05:44 PM

Everyone is assuming that you are gybing downwind - but you say you were on a reach, what sort of angle to the true wind are you trying to sail?

Re: Infusion F18 pitchpole - 06/13/11 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by TEAMVMG
Everyone is assuming that you are gybing downwind - but you say you were on a reach, what sort of angle to the true wind are you trying to sail?

Good point, Yes a correct assumption I was gybing down wind, a broad reach
Posted By: BoK

Re: Infusion F18 pitchpole - 06/20/11 04:50 PM

Chicken lines saved us from pitch poling about 25 times a day during the GT300....
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Infusion F18 pitchpole - 06/20/11 08:34 PM

Not that one time, though. And......you're really trying to swoop on my crew too? Why not keep George? He seemed to do well...not to mention he's your son.

Re: Infusion F18 pitchpole - 06/20/11 11:56 PM

My boat has chicken lines, I have never used them. What do I do to use them, just hang on to them or do you install a cleat on your harness?
Posted By: BoK

Re: Infusion F18 pitchpole - 06/21/11 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by TeamChums
Not that one time, though. And......you're really trying to swoop on my crew too? Why not keep George? He seemed to do well...not to mention he's your son.

Right. I really feel for Luke and his separated shoulder. That pitch happened only about 10 miles into a 100 mile leg. I'd say Luke's got some guts because I tried to get him to turn back, but he wouldn't have it.

The reason I was going after David for Ruff Riders is that he told me that you are going to be in North Dakota and George is trying to get a Hobie 16 and do the race with one of his friends. My first choice would be to sail with George, but I respect his desire to do it himself. That's why I loved sailing so much as a kid. Because I didn't have to have a grown-up to operate the boat for me.
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Infusion F18 pitchpole - 06/22/11 07:23 PM

Makes sense now. I'm going to see if I can make it to RR. I'd hate to miss it. If I can't do it, why don't you and David do it on my boat and let him drive?
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums