Catsailor.com

Late 2009 Infusion daggerboards trailing edges falling apart

Posted By: uogecko

Late 2009 Infusion daggerboards trailing edges falling apart - 06/14/11 10:30 AM

I have a late 2009 Infusion purchased new that has never been raced and has only been sailed about 6 times. The trailing edges of both daggerboards are losing gelcoat to the point where he glass/carbon is exposed.

Has anyone else has this problem? Is it a known issue with a manufacturing run?

Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Late 2009 Infusion daggerboards trailing edges falling apart - 06/15/11 07:25 PM

Gybing cases or filled in?

Re: Late 2009 Infusion daggerboards trailing edges falling apart - 06/15/11 07:28 PM

Hi Paul, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking?
Posted By: davefarmer

Re: Late 2009 Infusion daggerboards trailing edges falling apart - 06/16/11 05:35 AM

Are the cases designed to allow the boards to change angle of attack(gybe)from tack to tack? Or have the cases been filled to prevent the boards from gybing? If you bought the boat new, I'd assume they haven't been filled. I think that's what Paul is asking.
I don't know if the Infusion that year had the gybing boards, but I gather they weren't all that popular, and maybe part of the reason is that it was hard on the boards.. Is your damage possibly relatd to stress being put on the trailing edge where it exits the daggerbd case(possibley at different points if the boards were raised to differing levels? Or too fine a trailing edge/poor construction?
Other Infusion owners?

Dave
Posted By: tburd

Re: Late 2009 Infusion daggerboards trailing edges falling apart - 06/16/11 03:33 PM

We saw the same thing on our '09 Infusion boards (the boards and trunks are not gybing). Seemed like gelcoat on the already thin trailing edges didn't leave much room for fiber, given the construction methods in-mold.
On our boat, we ended up sanding the trailing edges back a little bit, until we got fiber to show. No chipping problems after that. You can do a more serious fix, grinding and laminating, but it's not really worth the work.

On a related note, just got the Mk 2 boards last week. Like the 2010 standard boards, they've stopped gelcoating the trailing edges, so it's all structural carbon now.

Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Late 2009 Infusion daggerboards trailing edges falling apart - 06/20/11 11:59 AM

Collin Casey had a brand new board split apart during the GT without hitting anything. What's with Nacra these last few years and all their stuff falling apart? For what their charging and how long it takes to get it, this is uncalled for.

Re: Late 2009 Infusion daggerboards trailing edges falling apart - 06/20/11 02:46 PM

Agreed. I contacted Jack Young at Performance who said that this type of damage is caused by the daggerboard being forced too far back in the
case- could happen on top or bottom - from hitting something or pulling
back when pulling them up.

I don't think so. They were brand new and we've only sailed 6 times, never raced or stressed.
Posted By: BoK

Re: Late 2009 Infusion daggerboards trailing edges falling apart - 06/20/11 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by TeamChums
Collin Casey had a brand new board split apart during the GT without hitting anything. What's with Nacra these last few years and all their stuff falling apart? For what their charging and how long it takes to get it, this is uncalled for.

Seems the early foils for the F20C were substandard as well. I bet they are expensive too!

© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums