Catsailor.com

Dagger depth marks

Posted By: rehmbo

Dagger depth marks - 04/27/13 09:49 AM

This might be a stupid question: What's the best way to mark lines on the dagger for various depth settings? I've found the sharpie to be useless...
Posted By: samc99us

Re: Dagger depth marks - 04/27/13 05:59 PM

http://www.catsailor.com/store/pc/DOWNHAUL-SCALE-485p11833.htm
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: Dagger depth marks - 04/28/13 11:30 AM

Sharpie works ok if you clean the boards with acetone, but does fade away in time. You can use a paint pen which come in different colors or just put some sticker dots or shapes on the boards. If you use stickers try and find a place in the board that does not rub on the trunk and they will stay on longer.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Dagger depth marks - 04/29/13 12:45 AM

Someone here (might have been Jake) in another thread suggested cutting into the gelcoat, filling it with a contrasting tinted gelcoat then sanding and polishing. I've never done it but it sounds like a great idea.
Posted By: rehmbo

Re: Dagger depth marks - 04/29/13 11:11 AM

Thanks guys. Interesting ideas. Not sure I'm ready to grind away on my boards just yet - although if done right, it sounds like the best permanent solution.

I often sail with inexperienced crew, so saying "to the 2nd mark" is more repeatable than than saying "~about 18 inches". I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the amount of variation in what some people think 18 inches is wink
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Dagger depth marks - 04/29/13 11:30 AM

Whats wrong with permanent marker?
[Linked Image]

Re: Dagger depth marks - 04/29/13 12:58 PM

Even if you don't have experienced crew having depth marks is important. I might give the auto paint a go since I have some lying around. My boat doesn't even have marks for where the boards are completely up...rather frustrating.

Re: Dagger depth marks - 05/16/13 12:32 PM

So I used the auto paint. Seems to be working quite well so far but still doesn't tell you how deep the bottom is.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums