Catsailor.com

Replacment main halyard sheave.

Posted By: old salt

Replacment main halyard sheave. - 05/07/13 01:26 PM

I'm getting ready for when the warm weather arrives, and I've got a damaged main halyard sheave on my Capricorn mast - missing bearings and a small chunk taken out of one edge. I've been trying to find a replacement online, but I can't find one that matches all of the dimensions. It looks like a Harken bullet block or Ronstan sheave, but the closest matches I could find are the Harken H160, Ronstan RF1020, and the Holt Allen HA4086, and even on these, two out of three measures are only close to correct but won't fit (too wide, bore too small/large). The sheave dimensions are 1 1/8 dia., 3/8 width, and 5/16 bore. The manual calls it a GYS012...is that an custom size just made for AHPC?
Posted By: Sloansailing

Re: Replacment main halyard sheave. - 05/07/13 04:08 PM

Go to your local machine shop and have them make you one out of Delrin or aluminum. Should be pretty cheap and easy and fit perfect.
Posted By: RTodd

Re: Replacment main halyard sheave. - 05/07/13 05:13 PM

I just replaced the main halyard sheave at the base of my Capricorn mast with the Ronstan RF1020. Seems to work fine. Tried the Harken last year, and it didn't last long. I believe the GYS012 part is custom.
Posted By: dr5e14w

Re: Replacment main halyard sheave. - 05/07/13 10:28 PM

It's a hk160 between the two metal brackets now. Use to be some other brand. The harken one isn't exactly the same but fits with no problems.

Re: Replacment main halyard sheave. - 05/09/13 10:05 AM

Well, there doesn't seem to be a local supplier of Ronstan sheaves so I'll give the Harken a try.
Posted By: wildtsail7

Re: Replacment main halyard sheave. - 05/09/13 04:12 PM

Have you tried the Binnacle in Halifax? If not Reckord Marine in Vancouver is the Ronstan distributor for Canada they could tell you where to get it.

Re: Replacment main halyard sheave. - 05/10/13 01:38 PM

I did check the Binnacle first - my order from them is just in. I'm picking up a bag of goodies tomorrow to get the boat ready for launch day. Thanks!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums