Catsailor.com

Quick change jib clew hardware

Posted By: rehmbo

Quick change jib clew hardware - 01/03/15 05:18 PM

Currently using a standard shackle to attach the sheet to the jib clew, but looking for something that allows lower-risk changing of clew board position out on the water. Recommendations?
Posted By: JeffS

Re: Quick change jib clew hardware - 01/03/15 07:07 PM

Some infusions here at the Aussie nacra nationals are using little hooks like miniature downhaul hooks, ronstan supply them

Re: Quick change jib clew hardware - 01/03/15 10:12 PM

Do you mean something like this?

[Linked Image]

link here
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Quick change jib clew hardware - 01/04/15 02:01 AM

If you drill the clew plate out, the wichard snap shackle like what is likely on your downhaul works pretty awesome.
Posted By: Dazz

Re: Quick change jib clew hardware - 01/04/15 08:03 AM

I use a 4mm stainless steel carbine. (no drilling required) I don't like the S hook because they can fall off and stuff gets hooked up on them.

the wichard is a pain when they invariably get bent and don't close up properly. expensive too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JeffS

Re: Quick change jib clew hardware - 01/04/15 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by rehmbo
Do you mean something like this?

[Linked Image]

link here

That's the one they work a treat when we were getting boats up the ramp in a blow they just unhooked it from the jib
Posted By: bacho

Re: Quick change jib clew hardware - 01/04/15 05:47 PM

Ive got one of these, I really like it. Has yet to come unhooked when I did not want it to. Ive heard that Harken has a similar product out.

http://www.tridentuk.com/gb/product-20mm-dynamic-hook-block-al-a2021hk.html
Posted By: JACKFLASH

Re: Quick change jib clew hardware - 01/05/15 09:23 PM

I have been using the miniature hook as pictured above for a few years. I have never had an issue.
Posted By: Andy Humphries

Re: Quick change jib clew hardware - 03/01/15 10:09 PM

At APS part no HA2021HK, $22.10.

Re: Quick change jib clew hardware - 03/01/15 11:07 PM

Oooh. I like. Very Sexy
[Linked Image]
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Quick change jib clew hardware - 04/30/15 02:26 PM

I am a HUGE fan of the quick release hook on the jib. I've been crewing for Dick MacDonald on his Cirus and we dumped it several times in conditions that will push you and being able to release the jib quickly made the process of righting the boat significantly safer. Having the jib completely free bought us more time to get on the boat and get things under control before it began its auto turn downwind. The boat was clearly more stable with the jib free. It was also very easy to reattach the jib once we were ready.

If you don't have a quick release please consider it.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums