Catsailor.com

Formula 18 capsized and upright

Posted By: Juha

Formula 18 capsized and upright - 08/10/15 12:20 PM

Hi there,

I have been sailing and racing with Nacra Infusion II during the season, but not yet capsized with it. Do you have some videos or tips what is preferred and fastest way to upright capsized Formula 18?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Just Sail

Re: Formula 18 capsized and upright - 08/13/15 02:13 PM

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVjeupcxVM2QAkRsnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Righting+An+F18+Catamaran&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

No wind but the basic idea is there
Posted By: Just Sail

Re: Formula 18 capsized and upright - 08/13/15 05:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHR2MeBUZTk
a little more direct route to the same vid
Posted By: Philippe

Re: Formula 18 capsized and upright - 08/19/15 06:24 AM

Just a little caveat from my recent experience (first season with F18 and first capsizes last week).

After our first capsize, we righted the boat more or less as in this video, but after the boat was righted and even though the wind was moderate the boat immediately started to move at 3-4 knots (even though we had made sure mainsail and jib were as loose as possible), making it quite difficult for us to get back on the trampoline. On our F18 (Falcon, but I don't think there is a big difference between recently built boats), the tramp is rather high above the water and if the boat starts to move forward getting on the tramp is far from easy (contrary to what appears on the above video). Being both stuck under the tramp with the boat moving at a certain speed is certainly scary, in our case there was no other boat or hindrance close by, but if it had happened on a race course I can only imagine our panic... ;-)

So the next day we did another exercice and this time once the mast is entirely out of the water, the crew went to sit on the hull with one leg on each side just before the tramp. Indeed once the mast reaches the horizontal position, the righting moment needed is smaller and the crew alone is enough to bring the boat back. Having the helm immediately on board and able to control the boat is a great asset.

Does anyone have another trick to get back on the boat as soon as possible after a capsize?
Posted By: bacho

Re: Formula 18 capsized and upright - 08/21/15 02:31 AM

I have spent much time righting my C2. I can right the boat myself by standing on the dagger board. I have attempted the last several times to have my skipper (wife) get on the tramp by the rear beam as the boat is coming over. When it works its great, however the timing has to be just right as it tends to steer the boat as it comes up leaving it at a bad angle to the wind.

When I single hand the boat, I have only capsized it once. Getting back on was a real chore as the wind was blowing hard and it wanted to go. I wound up going to the back of the boat and turning it head to wind before climbing on. I am thinking about sewing a strap to the bottom of the trap to make that maneuver a little safer.
Posted By: wildtsail7

Re: Formula 18 capsized and upright - 08/21/15 05:42 PM

Right the boat like normal but have the lighter person be poised to jump up when the boat is at the tipping point.
Then jump onto the hull in front of the front crossbar and as it comes over the hull will scoop them up, they will be on the boat as soon as it's righted and can run back and steer up.
Posted By: Baltic

Re: Formula 18 capsized and upright - 08/28/15 10:17 AM

My boat (C2) has the righting line beneath the trampolin. After righting the boat, my crew lets himself drift, holding onto the line, to the rear beam where we have a little line to get hold. With the other hand he turns the boat into the wind. I, still at the front, have all the time in the world to climb back on the boat again. This works at all conditions and is actually so fast, that we came out still competitive at one of the strong wind days at the worlds after capsize.
Posted By: Kennethsf

Re: Formula 18 capsized and upright - 08/31/15 11:51 AM

I have a small release line + cleat, to be able to release the jib sheet block on the spi pole in from of the self tacker. This releases all tension on the sheet-side of the high aspect jib [which is causing the direct forward movement once the boat is back on it's feet]- works great- I will see if I can dig up a picture
Posted By: Danny_H17

Re: Formula 18 capsized and upright - 09/13/15 03:57 AM

-Rear cross beam methods adversely effect steerage with the body dragging in the water at the stern. Boat can power up.

-Straddling the hull is difficult to pull off, requires conversation, and rehearsal. And even that has proven no guarantee, especially if you are tall. I've snagged the spi sheet on my helmet doing this, and failed as many times as I have tried it. Variable Sea state and wind make this one-opportunity solution unreliable to those who do not have the chance to practice. Re-flip is common, especially if the right is done without regard for wind angle! So, if you are sitting on the windward bow, because you did it right, but the boat blows over, you are going to land on the spi pole

Favorites:

-Modesty permitting, agree that whoever starts to board first will receive a push on the rump. Boarding is instant, even with heavy set people. First one up pulls up the other up. Extremely fast, no hull scratches from the harness hook. The maxed cardio and energy spent righting or swimming is not a problem with this method because it is so easy.

-For solo, reach up and grab the crew trap handle. Brace your foot on the dolphin striker, extend your leg, land with your back on the bow, wiggle/roll onto the tramp. Fast, works well.

Always let the jib all the way out. Main, keep it loose, but NOT completely released, you want the boat to head up and stall!!! Remember a loose main is how you drop the bows to power up or get OUT of irons. I set the main about triple the length of max during upwind. Results may vary.

If you delay, which happens, and the boat powers up after righting, you will need to let the boat travel over you, you grab the helm steer up and then grab the main, and sheet in to cause the boat to further head up, which it will not completely stop with a body dragging off the back, but this should allow enough slowing so the other crew can board, and then help pull you over the steering cross link.

Do what you can to get the boat pointed into the wind before righting. You can swim the bows, stand on the bows etc. Definitely worth while.

Peace,

Dan P
Redwood City CA
Nacra Infusion

© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums