Catsailor.com

40 boats pre-registered for the Statue Race

Posted By: Catius

40 boats pre-registered for the Statue Race - 05/01/06 10:00 PM

You can see the current attendance here . We have a good mix and it will only get better once the race gets closer...

Is anyone considering signing up but hasn't done so yet? Anyone wanting to come but needing crew or anyone wanting to crew but no boat? Drop a reply here...

Posted By: hobiekite

Re: 40 boats pre-registered for the Statue Race - 05/08/06 01:28 AM

i am looking to crew. i sail a h16 on long island.
this would be my first race.

bernd

imolavant@yahoo.com
Posted By: MarkD

Re: 40 boats pre-registered for the Statue Race - 06/11/06 12:58 AM

I have been racing since I was nine but only have about a year of cat experience. I raced in Multi-Hull Youth Nationals twice and don't have alot of open ocean experience. Me and my crew are 17 and both have a fair amount of years experience between us. Neither of us have done a distance race before and are trying to size up whether or not we up for this challange. Is there anyone out there who has done this race a few times and can tell us what to expect?

Thanks alot, Mark
Posted By: Steven Bellavia

Re: 40 boats pre-registered for the Statue Race - 06/21/06 02:42 PM

Hi,

Several LICSA members have done this race. I've done it since 1998 (I might have missed one or two since?)

It's NOT the ocean. Just the bays off Sandy Hook, the Verrazano Narrows and of course, New York Harbor. Get some charts. Also see image attached.

Plenty of Hobie 16's do it and do fantastic. See results at:
http://fleet250.org/

Good luck!

Steven Bellavia
Hobie FX-1, Sail #211

Attached picture 78879-statue_leg_1-4.jpg
Posted By: Catius

76 (now) boats pre-registered for the Statue Race - 06/24/06 10:48 PM

Not really open ocean, but it can get choppy once you're off the Hook and on the way to the Bridge. If you have 9 years sailing experience and a substantial amount of catsailing (sounds like it since you did the Nationals), you should be in for a fun time. Ultimately you know your own capabilities best though.

Email us at info@statueoflibertyrace.com if you have more questions.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums