Catsailor.com

Chooseing a cat

Posted By: Phoenix

Chooseing a cat - 07/30/05 12:30 PM

Hi I'm 16 and I've been sailing toppers for about 4 years now and before that I used to sail oppies but now I really want too start sailing catamarans and I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions as to which cat to go for? i would like a single-handed cat thats not for beginer sailors but one i'll be able to keep upright. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Posted By: BobG

Re: Chooseing a cat - 08/09/05 09:10 PM

Get a prindle 15
Posted By: hobienick

Re: Chooseing a cat - 11/12/05 10:29 PM

Depending on how much you weigh an H16 would be good. You can solo or bring crew, they are able to take a beating, there are lots of fleets around the world for racing, and you can find them and parts for cheap (under $1000 USD on a trailor).
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Chooseing a cat - 12/05/05 08:20 PM

Phoenix,
If you dont get a reply here (from your peers) I'd go to the open forum and find a "poster" from UK, send them a PM asking what the boat options are. Seems as though Darts are popular over there. Good Luck!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Chooseing a cat - 04/11/06 04:00 AM

I am buying a Mystere 4.3 for me to train my 12 year old grand daughter on.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
Soon to be Mystere 4.3
www.tcdyc.com
Posted By: pitchpoleheaven

Re: Chooseing a cat - 09/11/06 07:01 AM

maybee a dart 15 would be good there single handed.
Posted By: millex5

Re: Chooseing a cat - 04/15/08 06:16 AM

if you want to race, or have a cruising option, Buy an F16.
hobie cats are popular, but unreliable, and prone to pitchpoling. they perform badly upwind, and are not that fast. F16 is the class, baby.
Posted By: JeffS

Re: Chooseing a cat - 04/15/08 07:24 AM

G'day I'm way over 16 but we have a sundance 14ft at our club and during our "Lobster Regatta" a 16 year old took that 15km down the coast in 20-25knotts with bullets in a reasonable swell it impressed us all and he nearly won on handicap.
regards
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums