Catsailor.com

Solo mast raising

Posted By: MikeG

Solo mast raising - 11/10/06 11:08 PM

Did a quick search and could not find anything on solo mast stepping. It's getting to the mid 40's here and that makes it harder to convince my crew to come sailing. What is the best method of single handedly raising the mast? Gin pole on the mast base, pole on the trailer tongue? Just looking for some experienced views here. Thanks
Posted By: hrtsailor

Re: Solo mast raising - 11/11/06 03:53 AM

Mike,

I presume you are talking about an H-16. I raise my mast alone all the time. I use a tripod to hold up the end of the mast. I tie a line about 8' long from the jib halyard to the bridle. Making sure that the shrouds and wires are clear and won't catch on the tramp supports, I raise the mast. I then lean into it, reach down and uncleat the jib halyard, pull the halyard tight, and cleat it off to hold the mast up. I then get down and put the pin in the forestay. Dropping the mast is just the reverse.

Howard
Posted By: MikeG

Re: Solo mast raising - 11/11/06 08:31 AM

Thanks Howard,
I knew there was a less complex way to do this thing. No gin poles or guy lines, a truly elegant solution.
Posted By: Monte

Re: Solo mast raising - 11/11/06 02:29 PM

I typically fly solo, so have done this a few times...

I use one of those folding step ladders as a rest for the mast while stepping it (definitely helps in getting the mast started up). I untie one of the jibsheets from the traveller, and tie it off to the forestay. Once the mast is raised, I just cleat in the jibsheet, and it holds the mast in place, while I go up front and pin it in. Raise the jib, releasing the tension on the halyard, and untie the jibsheet. Then retie the jibsheet to the traveller, and off you go...(after raising the sails, of course)

This way, it doesnt need any additional lines, poles, wires or such.

Re: Solo mast raising - 11/11/06 10:47 PM

Monte,

Do you take the jib sheet around the bridle and then tie it to the forestay? I can't quite picture otherwise, how the jib sheet would hold the forestay to hold the mast up.

One advantage of using the jib halyard and a piece of line, is that when the mast is up and the halyard cleated, the forestay is loose and easy to handle. It usually is very easy then to pin to the adjuster especially with the bridle held up in place.

Your folding ladder sounds like a good idea. I use 3 aluminum tent poles that I drilled and tied with line to make a tripod.

Howard
Posted By: Monte

Re: Solo mast raising - 11/13/06 07:51 PM

Yes, I take the sheet around the bridle. IT can be a tight squeeze in the adjuster my way, with the jibsheet attached to the forestay, and trying to pin it. I will have to try it your way, sounds like it might be easier to pin the forestay, and it only takes the extra length of line.

Re: Solo mast raising - 11/14/06 03:15 AM

Monte,

You will find it very easy to pin the forestay using the length of line tied to the bridle and the jib halyard. I wish I could take credit for the idea but I actually read this in an old Hobie Hotline several years ago.

Howard
Posted By: tx246

Re: Solo mast raising - 01/23/07 10:55 PM

i use a length of line on the halyard and run it through a pulley that has been placed on the upright of trailer. the line is long enough that i can hold it while stepping the mast. once the mast is up, i tie it to the mast cleat. hop down and attatch bridles.

Re: Solo mast raising - 01/24/07 03:06 PM

That way you don't uncleat and re-cleat the jib halyard. The only problem you might have is keeping track of that line so it is in hand when you get the mast up.

Howard
Posted By: Tri_X_Troll

Re: Solo mast raising - 10/06/07 06:39 PM

Digging up a dead post.....

I've been sailing lasers and sunfish for years and just stepped up to an H16.

I've tried to step the mast solo a couple times and it was wondering if it should be so heavy? I felt like a body builder trying to step it.

Re: Solo mast raising - 10/06/07 09:55 PM

I am not sure but I believe the comptip mast is heavier than the all aluminum mast. My mast is all aluminum. Also check to be sure there isn't any water in the mast.

I find that it seems heavier in the beginning of the season and gets easier. I am 73, had heart surgery in March, and was raising the mast solo in June so it isn't that hard.

Howard
Posted By: Tri_X_Troll

Re: Solo mast raising - 10/07/07 03:13 AM

I do have a comp tip mast, I think. Perhaps it's a leverage issue, as I'm only 5'4" and 140lbs. My brother is 6" and was able to step it with much more ease.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Solo mast raising - 10/08/07 02:02 AM

Leverage is a major part of it. Standing at the very back of the tramp while lifting makes it a bit easier.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums