Catsailor.com

just purchased first cat.

Posted By: vsleepy

just purchased first cat. - 11/14/06 06:47 AM

Hi all,

Just purchased my first cat to learn on, got a (very) pre loved H14 nice and cheap with a trailer and it was sailing last year. Seems quite solid with no soft spots but needs a little attention. Pylons a little loose so will epoxy them up etc, takes on a little water, and one of the rudder cams is broken... Brand new tramp though.

At the moment there is no righting line, and as i want to keep costs down, what 'ghetto' system will work. Will a long enough line from the mast base over the hull work? I dont want to get to elaborate and the commercially available righting systmes would just about double to cost of the cat!

Any other suggestions?

Kind Regards,
James
Perth - Australia
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: just purchased first cat. - 11/14/06 04:19 PM

You can piece together an Hawaiian system with some line, bungee, two Harken bullet blocks and some hog rings. A line off the mast base will work fine but I like the Hawaiian because it's right there when you need it and self stows when you don't. JMHO
Posted By: hobienick

Re: just purchased first cat. - 11/14/06 05:20 PM

For about $50 you can get a nylon rope covered shock cord to tie from one rudder pin(or rear pylon), around the front pylons, and to the other rudder pin (or rear pylon). This keeps the line fairly neat and readily available.
Posted By: rattlenhum

Re: just purchased first cat. - 11/14/06 06:48 PM

Will a long enough line from the mast base over the hull work?

Not only will it work, but it's the most reliable righting line you can own 'cause it's so simple. Make sure it's long enough to get you down close to the water when thrown over either hull. Also, use a large diameter (1/2"+?) line and put a few overhand knots in it to help with gripping. Downsides are that it's not self-retracting and you need a (readily accessible!) place to store it.

Congrats on the new (to you) boat!

Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi USA
Posted By: JeffS

Re: just purchased first cat. - 11/14/06 10:19 PM

Hi James I would go with a system as quick as possible, the longer the boats over the more chance of water in the mast or a turtle, plus generally as you go over the boat swings into the wind and is in a good position to right without swimming everywhere. The longer your over the more chance of the mast swinging off the wind then the tramp catching the wind all of this is tiring. If you can just go to the self retracting righting line lean back get going again, you wont be absolutely worn out. With easy righting comes heaps of confidence to push the boat as hard as it can go because your not so aprehensive as you sail. Let us know your progress with the new boat because I am planning to get something similar for training at the club.
regards
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums