Catsailor.com

Reef the Main

Posted By: Anonymous

Reef the Main - 01/12/07 01:22 PM

Does anyone besides me reef the main? I always solo and around 18 kts the fear factor starts to overcome the grin factor.

I have a 2nd stop on the main halyard for engaging the hook on the mast. A row of grommets on the sail is adequate for lacing up the inactive portion of the main. Reinforced tack grommet goes right into the boom fitting. Reinforced clew grommet is pulled out by the outhaul and tied down with a few loops of cord.

Regards
Chet
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Reef the Main - 01/12/07 02:19 PM

I did so a little over a year ago, knowing it was one of the last available days of sailing for that season in winds a little above what you're talking about (only the windsurfers the lake) and I was by myself.

The first time was during a race 25 years ago when at any one time a dozen boats were capsized on the course. We finished third by keeping the pointy side up.

Not sure the thinking behind removing the reefing grommets (1986?), but here in the windy midwest they have been useful.
Posted By: hrtsailor

Re: Reef the Main - 01/12/07 03:33 PM

Chet,

When the comptip mast was introduced, Hobie did away with the reef point and the "slug" on the halyard that allowed you to shorten the sail. I believe it was done to eliminate the length of wire on the halyard so it wouldn't be able to conduct electricity from overhead wires or lightning down to the metal part of the mast.

My boat is an '85 without the comptip which I bought new. I reefed once and didn't feel like it was worth the effort. My new sails don't have a reef point. I have been wondering if installing a furling jib would be a good idea and solve your problem.

Howard

Re: Reef the Main - 01/12/07 05:49 PM

As far as reducing sail by removing the jib -

I find sailing with main alone quite difficult. Hard to tack, hard to go fast.
Posted By: Vinny_M

Re: Reef the Main - 01/12/07 09:23 PM

Get a furling jib, thats your best bet. My old suit of sails have reef points in them, but I dont think it is necessary to spend the time rigging it up. I bought the harken furler and a furling jib, but I understand that you can also use a regular jib by just taking out the battens. I tried it once, and once speed picked up, the leech of the sail began to scream....it definetly added to the excitement.

Re: Reef the Main - 01/13/07 05:48 AM

Guys:

Just move your travler out till you can control the boat. Real easy. No reefing needed

Doug
Posted By: gree2056

Re: Reef the Main - 01/13/07 06:25 AM

If I can sail a Nacra 5.2 solo in some big stuff without reefing the main surely a Hobie 16 is controlable. Follow dougs advice and just travel out. It depowers quite a bit with just a tiny move.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Reef the Main - 01/13/07 09:46 PM

Does having the jib furled make it really difficult to tack a 16? I've been told, but have no experience, that it is worse than the 14 to tack.

Re: Reef the Main - 01/14/07 12:28 AM

Trick to tacking a uni, IS you MUST let out about 2-3 feet of sheet as you go head to wind or you WILL go straight into irons. If you do push rudder and boom away from you and you will back around. Not that hard.

Doug
Posted By: hititmaestro

Re: Reef the Main - 01/14/07 02:29 AM

you also need to be carefull not to use too much rudder too, i dont like sailing with out a jib but sometimes you just have no choice
Posted By: Vinny_M

Re: Reef the Main - 01/14/07 03:40 PM

With a furler, it is a PITA to get through, but the trick is to go in slow and enter quick. Also, you have to backwind the jib more than you normally would. Ive never sailed a H14, so I wouldnt be able to compare, but I know it took me a couple trips to get the furler tack down.
Posted By: gree2056

Re: Reef the Main - 01/14/07 08:10 PM

I sailed a Hobie 14T for a while. The Hobies are a bitch to tack no matter what but they are particularly fun without the jib. But it can be done, I would suggest you learn to roll tack, and use lots of mast rake. By raking the mast back you are loading up the rudders and making them act more like a daggerboard.

Here is the godo news, if you can tack a 14 or 16 well you will fly through tack on other boats.
Posted By: tx246

Re: Reef the Main - 01/23/07 10:47 PM

i use the reef whenever i have kids and/or lots of people on the boat. the boom is a lot higher and i would gladly give up some speed in return for not smacking a newby in the head. when i ordered new sails, i paid for the reef points.

i single hand with full sails but like it has been said. let out on the traveler.
Posted By: hrtsailor

Re: Reef the Main - 01/24/07 03:19 PM

Do you reef by pulling the boom up higher in the mast track? My main halyard has two "slugs", the second one allows for reefing and keeps the boom at its normal position. The halyard for the comptip mast doen't have a second "slug" and that is why there are no reef points. If you move the boom up to reef you lose some of the affect. Lowering the sail lowers the center of effort and reduces the leverage (turning moment) that would heel the boat. Moving the boom up would raise the center of effort. If you are doing it just for convenience with people on board it isn't an issue but if it is to depower, it is less effective.

Howard
Posted By: tx246

Re: Reef the Main - 01/27/07 06:17 AM

i use the reefing to clear confused heads. booms and begginers.
Posted By: mmiller

Re: Reef the Main - 01/29/07 08:05 PM

If reefing for higher winds... the boom would be at the same level as in normal use. The sail is lowered.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums