Catsailor.com

Whether to buy

Posted By: NickS

Whether to buy - 05/08/07 04:04 PM

Hi, I have been offered the opportunity to purchase a Hobie 16 of unknown vintage (sail in the 12000's yellow and white panels) From a sail chart I imagine it will be a 70's model. My question is related to a problem with the port hull which has a pushed in appearance half way down the curve of the hull, starting just in front of the front pillar. This extends pretty much back to the rear pillar. From what I can see and feel the deck is quite sound as are the areas around all the pillars. However if I push on the hull side it flexes inward without too much pressure applied. Would it be better to steer clear of this particular hobie?...OR Is this a reasonably easy repair? Nick
Posted By: gree2056

Re: Whether to buy - 05/08/07 04:13 PM

Side of the boat pushing in....run away, I mgiht be wrong but it sounds like you have some very serious delam there. Did it sound like a bag of potatoe chips when you pressed in? If so keep running! Do you plan to race? How much are they asking?
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Whether to buy - 05/08/07 07:05 PM

. . . offered the opportunity to purchase a Hobie 16 of unknown vintage . . which has a pushed in appearance half way down the curve of the hull, starting just in front of the front pillar. This extends pretty much back to the rear pillar.

I would suggest to the offeror of such an "opportunity" that you would be happy to haul away his 40 year old POS for a modest fee (he pays you).

Run away.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: NickS

Re: Whether to buy - 05/10/07 08:38 PM

Thanks for the reply. the asking price was always too high for a boat I wouldn't feel safe travelling more than a couple of hundred metres from the beach with. Owner was asking $1100 down from $1500. I would have been fairly interested had the hull not had such an obvious problem as the rig seems fairly good...not seen rigged up though. As for racing- I had not considered this at present. My daughter is showing some interest in sailing and especially using the trapeze so I need to buy a bigger Catamaran as my windrush 14 just isn't quite big enough for the two of us. Plus I don't have any guarantee that my daughter will want to sail more than a few times before wanting to do something else...hence I am reluctant to buy a more expensive one. Of course, if she was interested enough to race I would need a more recent hobie 16. Nick
Posted By: swaompfox1

Re: Whether to buy - 05/12/07 01:38 AM

I just bought an 88 Hobie 16 for $650. Hulls, sails and Tramp were in great shape. I found it at a local marina collecting dust. Around my area there are older Hobies laying around all over if you keep your eyes open.
Posted By: gree2056

Re: Whether to buy - 05/12/07 01:50 AM

Just to get on the water with the 16 would be great. I mean you want to find one with good hulls and sails but other than that you are in good shape.

Also the 16 makes a great solo boat for when she can't go along with you.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Whether to buy - 05/12/07 02:41 AM

Hulls, sails and Tramp were in great shape.

I took the town tramp to my high school prom. I think he appreciated the hot meal.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Whether to buy - 05/12/07 03:54 AM

I think he appreciated the hot meal.

He or she?
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums