Catsailor.com

Old Hobie Wants New Sails

Posted By: RickInMesa

Old Hobie Wants New Sails - 05/31/07 03:03 PM

My 1971 H16 has original sails, I think.

[Linked Image]

I've been sailing the boat since February, and I'm ready to spring for new sails. It's fun to think about new colors and cuts and materials, and yet the traditionalist in me is saying "just leave it like it is." I can replace the sails with identically-colored (boring?) new ones... but I probably won't; I've replaced the tramp with a bias design, so maybe I'm not as retro as I seem. Would anybody on the forum keep the original cut and color if they were in my shoes?

I'm not a racer (yet), just a day sailor.

Can I get my same sail number (2164) on my new sails?

Rick
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Old Hobie Wants New Sails - 05/31/07 03:38 PM

Oooooh - a new sail pattern - not on the chart.

<right click, Save Picture>

If you order new sails from Hobie, you can get any color cloth you want - as long as they have it in stock.

Fortunately, they have yellow, but it's a brighter color than the original.

You can get any sail number you want, but they don't use the same typeface as the originals. I forget what the original font is, but the new sail number font is ITC Souvenir Medium. You could always make your own numbers out of sticky-back.

If you get your sails from somebody else (Whirlwind?) you can probably get exactly what you want, both color and number wise. Just depends on what's available for colors. check out Sailrite Dacron Cloth

Bottom line - go retro!
Posted By: hititmaestro

Re: Old Hobie Wants New Sails - 06/02/07 04:59 AM

you can also make your own sail numbers, designs, logos ect... on a vinal (spelling!) cutter i have one and it can cut some really cool things on lots of different colors!
Posted By: h16bill

Re: Old Hobie Wants New Sails - 06/19/07 11:35 PM

It would be a beter investment to buy a newer boat and sell yours. You will get newer sails in the deal. Try for a 1984 or newer. You won't believe the difference in performance.
Posted By: RickInMesa

Re: Old Hobie Wants New Sails - 06/20/07 11:46 PM

This is more of an antique than a raceboat. I'm tempted to stay close to the original colors and patterns. I think I'm going to send the sails to be cleaned and repaired, as a first step. Money is an issue, too. I just spent my 800th dollar on the whole thing, and as an investment in fun, I've never had a better payback.
Posted By: Jeff Peterson

Re: Old Hobie Wants New Sails - 06/21/07 04:34 AM

The guy on Antiques Roadshow would tell you that the original finish is most desirable. Keep it original to keep it COOL.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums