Catsailor.com

Paint Question

Posted By: SailorKJ

Paint Question - 03/08/08 12:19 PM

Just purchased a 83 H16. Looks like the former owner painted White spray paint over a Red Hull. Not bad overall but starting to wear thru on bottom of hulls. What type of paint is recommended for a fix?? I plan on repainting the bottoms back red.

KJ
Posted By: Soapysails

Re: Paint Question - 03/08/08 10:50 PM

I have had to repaint a number of boats, paint just can't compete with jel-coat. Having said that, you can find help at any Good Automotive paint store. Let them know what you are planning to paint..(fiberglass) they will be able to help with pre-primers, base primer, and a paint made for glass (these paints tend to flex somewhat) Most of the boats I have painted held up well and maintained a wet look..with any luck, you may get a responce on this forum from others with more knowlege and expertise .. Best of luck and fear not...
Posted By: swanbike57

Re: Paint Question - 03/09/08 09:43 PM

I have an old Hobie that was originally red and the previous owners had painted it blue. I patched and faired the hulls out with West system epoxy and fillers, then painted with Petit Easy Poxy. (It's not really an epoxy, it's a high grade polyurethane.) I used their primer first and then two coats of Bikini Blue. I used a foam roller (do a small area, maybe 2' x 3') followed by a wet brush to knock down the bubbles. It came out really well.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums