Catsailor.com

Mast Float thoughts.

Posted By: Tri_X_Troll

Mast Float thoughts. - 06/06/08 02:10 AM

Kicking around the idea of a mast float for when I go on vacation.

During the week I'm usually the only boat on the water, speed boats on Saturdays, and the scows take over the lake on sundays.

I'm a little worried that she'll go over in white caps and I won't be able to get her back up. I thought about buying a righting bucket instead.

1) If I just buy the righting bucket, will I be able to get her back from full turtle. I weigh in at about 165 right now. 5'4"

2) If I just buy the baby bob, will I be able to get her back up off her side. Once again, I weigh in at about 165 and am 5'4".

3) I'm not buying both.

4) Has anyone devised a quick release system for the baby bob. I'll only use it when I'm the only boat on the lake.
Posted By: hrtsailor

Re: Mast Float thoughts. - 06/06/08 01:51 PM

I haven't had much trouble getting out of a turtle. The trick I was told is to bring the bows up, not try to bring one hull up. It has worked for me though I haven't turtled more than a couple of times. That said, I don't sail solo when there are no other boats on the lake. I am retired and get out whenever I want but I don't feel safe enough alone.

Howard
Posted By: Tri_X_Troll

Re: Mast Float thoughts. - 06/06/08 03:45 PM

So, if you're bringing the bows up, hows that work. You stand on the stern with a righting line around the front crossbar or dolphin striker?
Posted By: Banzilla

Re: Mast Float thoughts. - 06/06/08 04:17 PM

As I understand, Just your weight on the stern sinking it and the bows coming up will bring the mast up and to the side. You want to be on the leeward bow so the wind will hit the tramp and help you out. You might want the righting line for balance.
Posted By: hrtsailor

Re: Mast Float thoughts. - 06/07/08 12:24 AM

I believe I did hold on to the righting line. The bows do come up and then it will fall off to the side. As mentioned here in the post by Banzilla, the wind on the tramp will help hold it up.

Howard
Posted By: rattlenhum

Re: Mast Float thoughts. - 06/09/08 05:59 PM

Kicking around the idea of a mast float for when I go on vacation.

During the week I'm usually the only boat on the water, speed boats on Saturdays, and the scows take over the lake on sundays.

I'm a little worried that she'll go over in white caps and I won't be able to get her back up. I thought about buying a righting bucket instead.

1) If I just buy the righting bucket, will I be able to get her back from full turtle. I weigh in at about 165 right now. 5'4"

2) If I just buy the baby bob, will I be able to get her back up off her side. Once again, I weigh in at about 165 and am 5'4".

3) I'm not buying both.

4) Has anyone devised a quick release system for the baby bob. I'll only use it when I'm the only boat on the lake.

1. Yep. Probably won't even need the bucket to get from turtle to normal capsize position. Use righting line to help balance/lean back on. BTW, in Banzilla's second sentence, I think he meant for you to stand on the (stern of the) leeward hull (not leeward bow). One last thought on turtling.....consider wearing shoes....standing on that upside down deck lip is murder.

2. Nope

3. Agree

4. Don't know

5. Make sure your mast is watertight, regardless.
Posted By: Banzilla

Re: Mast Float thoughts. - 06/09/08 07:35 PM

yes, you want the bows to come up. I have lost a few pounds in the last month or 2, but if the leeward bow came up out of the water while I was standing on it, I think there is a bigger problem than a turtled boat.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums