Catsailor.com

H 16 jib question

Posted By: swanbike57

H 16 jib question - 07/15/08 01:12 PM

My jib flaps and sounds like a motor boat or helicopter in moderate air. (15-20 kts.) My sails are old, not crisp. The boat is old too, hull number 2479 I think, but the spars are from a newer boat, black anodized, no comp tip. Should I use a higher hole in the plate in the lower rear corner of the jib or is all to do with how tight the jib sheet is set? I have been keeping the jib traveler cars way out by the corner castings.
Posted By: hrtsailor

Re: H 16 jib question - 07/15/08 03:17 PM

I sail solo much of the time and leave the jib travelers in close to the mast. I seldom have them traveled out as far as you do except when going downwind. The jib shouldn't be acting the way you describe. Set it by the teltales the same way you would set the main, both sides streaming back.

Howard
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: H 16 jib question - 07/15/08 10:22 PM

I have been keeping the jib traveler cars way out by the corner castings.

On all points of sail?!?! The cars need to be all the way in on a beat. Move them out to the castings on a reach or run.
Posted By: Vinny_M

Re: H 16 jib question - 07/16/08 05:04 PM

I had flapping on my jib too when I first got my boat. The problem was due to the battens being too short, make sure the battens are sticking out of the jib a little bit, or maybe they are broken?
Posted By: mbounds

Re: H 16 jib question - 07/16/08 06:53 PM

My sails are old, not crisp.

Other than your issue with the jib traveller cars, that's your real problem.

The leech of the jib is the first thing to blow out.
Posted By: Skipshot

Re: H 16 jib question - 07/18/08 05:40 PM

I had the same problem and fixed it with a new jib. Let it go. . .
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums