Catsailor.com

H16 mast base/dolphin striker

Posted By: Pascal

H16 mast base/dolphin striker - 08/03/08 12:49 AM

another glitch became obvious today as we were holding the boat while swimming on a shallow sandbar. The dolphin striker has some vertical play under the mast base (about 1/4" in and out the crossbar), even though the base itself doens't move (or very little)

isnt' the striker screwed in the base? that would mean the alum. threads in the base are damaged since the base doesn't move with the striker

can you replace the base by drilling out the 4 rivets, push the stiker up and then unscrew the base?
Posted By: mmiller

Re: H16 mast base/dolphin striker - 08/03/08 05:46 PM

Yes, you replace by drilling the rivets and pushing the step casting up from the bottom.

I would do that ASAP as a loose striker post will damage the mast base as the post pressed directly against the base casting.

Re: H16 mast base/dolphin striker - 08/03/08 07:11 PM

thks Matt.

so how is the dolphin striker attached to the base? does it screw in the base or is it pressed in? if so, how? I looked at the part diagram but i dont' see how it is attached...
Posted By: swanbike57

Re: H16 mast base/dolphin striker - 08/03/08 10:02 PM

I had the same problem with my older H16. I had a machinist make me a new dolphin striker from 3/4" stainless steel rod and he tapped out the mast base to accept the larger threads. Plus I had him put extra threads on the new post so that I could put a nice big 3/4" nut under the cross bar. I put a little epoxy between the nut and the cross bar as bedding compound. He wanted to charge me $10.00 but I insisted on giving him a crisp $20.
Posted By: mbounds

Re: H16 mast base/dolphin striker - 08/04/08 04:41 PM

The dolphin striker post screws into the mast base (or more correctly, the base threads on to the post).
Posted By: Damon Linkous

Re: H16 mast base/dolphin striker - 08/04/08 07:24 PM

isnt' the striker screwed in the base? that would mean the alum. threads in the base are damaged since the base doesn't move with the striker

can you replace the base by drilling out the 4 rivets, push the stiker up and then unscrew the base?

Here is a series of pictures showing how to remove and replace the Hobie 16 Mast Base.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: mmiller

Re: H16 mast base/dolphin striker - 08/04/08 11:41 PM

Just to be clear... We are talking mast "step casting" here.

The mast step is riveted to the forward crossbar.

A mast base is attached to the mast.

Re: H16 mast base/dolphin striker - 08/05/08 02:11 AM

sorry.. yes i'm talking about the "step casting" which is riveted to the cross bar.

so the dolphin striker screws in the step casting... then if the striker moves up and down while the step doesn't, then it means the threads in the alum step must be worn/corroded and should be replaced.

thks for the link to the step by step direction...
Posted By: Matt_Stone

Re: H16 mast base/dolphin striker - 08/06/08 08:51 AM

hi all.

Ive taken out the step before, cos ours was broken. the rod is treaded in the alloy but has to be flush where the mast base/ swivel goes, but to get the whole lot off undo the donphine striker and tap it through, when putting it back in put the dophine striker back with the nuts on and pop rivert the step on then tention up dophine striker up again,
May have to grind out the step to fit the beam as the castings are not really that great fit
Matt

Re: H16 mast base/dolphin striker - 08/18/08 12:59 PM

pulled it a couple of days ago, the threads are worn, we're ordering a new one...
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums