Catsailor.com

Trailer Hobie 16 with small car - Corolla

Posted By: rfarson

Trailer Hobie 16 with small car - Corolla - 09/04/08 10:30 PM

I need to trailer a Hobie 16 with a small car - Toyota Corolla '01. Does anyone have experience with trailering a H16 with a small car?
Posted By: mmiller

Re: Trailer Hobie 16 with small car - Corolla - 09/04/08 11:31 PM

Not really a different load than a few passengers. I had an old VW Scirocco and had no problems. I recall Dan Ketterman here towed a H20 with an MG?
Posted By: hobiegary

Re: Trailer Hobie 16 with small car - Corolla - 09/05/08 12:18 AM

I tow a Mystere 6.0 on a steel trailer with box behind a 2005 Corolla. It pulls better than the Subaru which had an engine with 22% more displacement!

I don't think you have anything to worry about, aside from the fact that if you load the tongue too heavily, you may be unloading weight off of your front drive (and braking) wheels.

GARY
Posted By: Tri_X_Troll

Re: Trailer Hobie 16 with small car - Corolla - 09/05/08 04:35 PM

I do it with a ford focus, which happens to be rated for less weight than the corolla.
Posted By: David_Nolte

Re: Trailer Hobie 16 with small car - Corolla - 09/09/08 12:12 PM

I towed my H16 up and down the east coast for years with a VW GTI. Before that with an old '78 Toyota Celica, back when they were small cars. Between boat, trailer and gear you're probably talking maybe 1000 pounds. And it just rolls. If you think about it, it's a pretty streamlined rig compared to towing a boxy UHaul trailer.
Posted By: arievd

Re: Trailer Hobie 16 with small car - Corolla - 09/11/08 05:26 PM

I tow mine with a Mazda Protege5 (2L engine), without any problem.The US tow ratings for these types of cars is a lot less than say the European tow rating for the same car, so the car can handle it (you could have warranty issues though, but mine is way past that point already).
Just be careful with your tongue weight, the usual recommendation is 10% of your trailer weight. Too much tongue weight might exceed your hitch rating and will put too much weight on the back end of your car, too little will result make the rig less stable on the road.
Posted By: mmadge

Re: Trailer Hobie 16 with small car - Corolla - 09/22/08 01:29 AM

Towed my 16 from Thunder Bay to Kingston (1000 km)back in 1985 with my then new Toyota Corolla
Posted By: jody

Re: Trailer Hobie 16 with small car - Corolla - 09/23/08 04:34 PM

We pull double stack blades behind a 99 honda accord, or a nissan sentra over the hill in carolina with out much problem, so should be no problem with the h16 and your car, just expect your gas milage to suck.
Posted By: Joanna

Re: Trailer Hobie 16 with small car - Corolla - 09/24/08 10:14 AM

We pull double stack blades behind a 99 honda accord, or a nissan sentra over the hill in carolina with out much problem, so should be no problem with the h16 and your car, just expect your gas milage to suck.

The Nissan got 17.5 MPG this weekend...usually gets 32MPG. (Like Jody said that was in the mountains.)
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums