Catsailor.com

square top sails

Posted By: 89umiamiH16

square top sails - 06/03/02 04:55 PM

i just bought a H16 and am shopping around to replace the original white sails. does anyone know where to buy square top sails for a H16?

also...the number on my sail is 89545...what does this mean?
Posted By: woodsskiier

Re: square top sails - 06/03/02 09:30 PM

Im not sure where the best place to get sails is, but if you are planning on racing just remember that only hobie sails are class legal. But if you are just out sailing for fun, I'm sure there are lots of places to get square top sails, and probably cheaper than new Hobie sails.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: square top sails - 06/04/02 01:48 PM

Go to www.sail-s.com and click on Sales, and then click on H16 Trapseat / Multihull and in the H16 section you will find information on how to order a flat top main for a H16. I have a flat top on my H16 for distance racing and it totally rocks, it really fly's. Points much better too.
Posted By: Bob_Curry

Re: square top sails - 06/09/02 04:55 PM

Check out Sabre Sails. www.sabresails.com.

Re: square top sails - 06/10/02 05:32 PM

anyone know what the sail # means?
Posted By: woodsskiier

Re: square top sails - 06/12/02 12:54 AM

Sail number may only give a rough age of the sail. Check the serial numbers for the boats age. I replaced my sails in 1984 or 1985 and got #83503.
Posted By: jabram

Re: square top sails - 06/12/02 01:02 AM

What material is your sail? and what cut is it? (radial, cross ect) I talked to Randy a few days ago and he recommended a mylar main. BUt some people have told me to be careful in that the mylar might not last long. Also what kinda jib do you have? is it standard size? Do not think i wanna go to a chute yet but want new main and jib and possible adjustable downhaul. Any info will help.

Thanks

Jody Abrams

Re: square top sails - 06/12/02 01:26 PM

i have all standard sails now. hobie 16 white, dacron, basic, stock, same ones that came with boat.
Posted By: Flying_Frog

Re: square top sails - 06/12/02 03:41 PM

Why not change your Cat instead?

I've had a Prindle 16 for 2 years when I realised I was turning it into a Nacra mods after mods.

So I bought an Inter [Linked Image]

It may be hard too to try to sell your modified hobie with new racing sails. Poeple often don't want to put extra money on a fun day sailer.

Sail hard, sail fast, but do look out for tankers...
Posted By: jabram

Re: square top sails - 06/12/02 11:23 PM

Thought long and hard about moving to a newer cat, but is hard to beat the hobie 16 or prindle 16 in terms of simplicity. Still like to go out and take nonsailors out for a nice sail. And some of the new boats i felt (IMHO) might be a little intimidating to them with all the lines and such. And also I often have to race solo so simplicity good again. My friend and I here are thinking of updating the sail plans on the boats to make them somewhat more uptodate but we also want to keep the over all controls the same. And you are right no one will buy the boat with all the new sails and such for what it is worth but plan on sailing it for and if want I can sail the new sails seprately. We shall see. But thanks for the advice.

Jody Abrams
Posted By: ejpoulsen

Re: square top sails - 06/14/02 05:13 AM

With all due respect to the legendary H16 and the also-ran P16, there is an alternative that offers fantastic simplicity, sailability, sleek lines, and price: N5.0.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: square top sails - 06/16/02 04:48 PM

I have a set of barley used sails made by Calvert if you want. The jib and main match eachother... they are a dark blue, yellow and a deep maroon. They are 4.5 oz Tejion Dacron. Up to you. Email me DNehlsen@optonline.com
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums