Catsailor.com

Competitive Crew Weight

Posted By: bbateman

Competitive Crew Weight - 03/03/09 05:23 PM

Since Kingston is only an hour and a half away, I am thinking of entering the North American this year. Is it possible to be competitive at a crew weight of 330 lbs or is this just too heavy? What weight can you be competitive at?
Posted By: mmadge

Re: Competitive Crew Weight - 03/03/09 06:04 PM

295lbs is probably ideal.I think if the thermal kicks in at Kingston and you power the boat up,you should be alright.I am planning on sailing with my son and we will weigh in about the same 330lbs.Where you really get hurt is light and lumpy weather.Mick Butler(current 16 world champion) just won a big regatta in Australia weighing in at the 'Fat Bastard" catagory(over 330 lbs).Hey come anyway,you don't have to be a light weight to win the start and there will always be boats to race against.Maybe you and I can go in the Fat Bastard catagory.
Posted By: bbateman

Re: Competitive Crew Weight - 03/04/09 07:36 PM

I hope to make it out. I have asked my crew to lose some weight but let's hope it's very windy.
Posted By: mmadge

Re: Competitive Crew Weight - 03/04/09 07:47 PM

Actually you don't get hurt that much in light air and flat water.Last years N.A,s I had to pick up a crew for the final race(light air race).We had a combined weight of 390lbs,we were in 5th place at A mark,down wind was a little slow and painfull ( I think we ended up 19th).Hope to see you in Kingston already 23 boats on the participants list.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums