Catsailor.com

Hull bottom shape

Posted By: David L

Hull bottom shape - 03/05/09 08:02 PM

Hello,
I'm like a lot of the newbies. 30+ year mono sailor who just picked up a (new to me) 1981 H16.
The bottom of the hulls need some glass: I can see exposed roving from the factory layup, small voids where the bottom has been abraded.Also in these areas on both hulls, they seem to have flat sections about 1" wide in the mid section. Normal? Or do I need to re-sculpt these areas into more sharp angles? My gut reaction was to just epoxy a few layers of glass tape, fair, fill, repeat, prime, paint and sail!
Oddly, when I tipped the trailer up and pulled the hull drain plugs, water ran out, so the hulls SEEM to have water tight integrity on the bottoms. Thoughts? Spiritual guidance?
Thanks,
David smile
Posted By: mmiller

Re: Hull bottom shape - 03/05/09 09:16 PM

Here is the template for hull shapes:

[Linked Image]

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/images/tech/hulltemplate.jpg

You can layer glass tape and reshape. There are a number of posts about the process... Bottom Job.
Posted By: David L

Re: Hull bottom shape - 03/05/09 09:33 PM

Thanks Matt,
DL
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hull bottom shape - 07/13/09 01:14 PM

Can you explain the use of this template to me? Are you supposed to measure at point A, B, and C? If so, what is the scale to make the template? It only seems to work at B

Antony Dalton
Posted By: mmiller

Re: Hull bottom shape - 07/13/09 09:23 PM

A, B and C are measuring points for lip to keep depth. The template would be approx shape of the mid section.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums