Catsailor.com

New to cats - Longhorn Edition???

Posted By: Ken Weir

New to cats - Longhorn Edition??? - 06/19/09 02:24 PM

So I'll be honest with you guys, I'm brand new to sailing. I've never owned or been sailing but it's something I've wanted to do for the past 30 years. I have a good friend/co-worker who grew up on his uncle's Hobie 16, so there's someone I can count on to teach me at least the basics of how NOT to do things.

Incidentally, I live in NE Texas, so it'll be used almost exclusively in lakes/reserviors. It's a pretty long drive to the coast for a day sail if you know what I mean...

Anyway, I'm looking at buying a pre-owned Hobie 16 for a first boat & found one in what I believe to be pretty good shape. The sails are a little faded in the bottom third or so, but no obvious wear. Same for all the rigging. Fiberglass is nice & smooth with no soft-spots & fairly rigid. I don't know what year it was built, but I'm guessing late-80's to early 90's.

My question is this. The guy says it's a "Longhorn Edition." Being new to sailing in general - let alone cats - I have no idea what significance that holds. I don't know if it's anything structurally/functionally significant or maybe just a special color scheme.

Can any of you guys shed a little light on this for me?
Posted By: mbounds

Re: New to cats - Longhorn Edition??? - 06/19/09 05:03 PM

Never heard of a "Longhorn" Edition. Might have been something a Texas dealer cooked up.

Check the serial number on the back of the boat - the last two digits are the model year.
Posted By: rattlenhum

Re: New to cats - Longhorn Edition??? - 06/19/09 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by mbounds
Never heard of a "Longhorn" Edition. Might have been something a Texas dealer cooked up.

Or maybe just a load of Texas "bull"!

Ken: Not sure exactly where you/the boat are in TX, but there's a guy over on the Hobie Forums from Lindale that may be able to help you assess the boat.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12818
Posted By: Ken Weir

Re: New to cats - Longhorn Edition??? - 06/20/09 03:23 PM

I found out some more info about the boat today. This "Longhorn Edition" came from a Dallas, TX dealer & only 10 were made. The guy wanted $1,100 for a boat that normally runs $3,500 in poor condition (that from another source) & he sold it the day after he placed the ad...

Oh well, I have 3 or 4 other Hobies I'm looking at, so maybe one of them will be the right boat for me.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums