Catsailor.com

new guy on the block

Posted By: gcw

new guy on the block - 06/27/09 01:14 AM

Hello my name is Gerald Wilson im in the Marine corps, thats what relocated me to the ocean. after seeing boat after boat i decided i needed one. I wasnt to picky i just wanted a sail didnt want to spend $$$ on gas. so after looking a few months i came across a 78 h16 that was in ok shape i picked it up for $400 with the trailer. gave it a LONG bath and 6hrs later the grime was off and i had learned to step the mast by myself and re-laced the tramp. i just have a couple holes to patch up then off to the beach. thats where the problem comes in. ive never sailed before im confident i can learn. so i have a few ? for everyone. the boat didnt come with a jib sail how much will this hurt me? im not into racing (yet) just getting wet lol.how much of a rake should my mast have? and last im thinking im missing a pin were the boom meets the mast.

thanks everyone ill try and get some pics up
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: new guy on the block - 06/27/09 02:39 AM

Welcome Gerald! Go to http://www.hobiecat.com/support/index-sail.html for sailing tips, product info, and parts catalogs.

You didn't mention where you were stationed. If you're on the ocean there's a good chance you're close to a local Hobie Fleet. JOIN!! The first time you show up for an event and identify yourself as a noob, you'll get swarmed with help.

You should get a jib. I'm pretty sure Rick carries them here. Mast rake is a question without the jib as the cable that you now have for a forestay may not be up to the job strength-wise. The jib does have a heavier cable in it.

Good luck and have a great time!

Re: new guy on the block - 06/27/09 01:20 PM

Thanks. Im in jacksonville NC/Camp Lejeune. Ive Look for a hobie group around here but i think they mostly stay up by the outer banks area.

I kinda see what you mean about my forstay but the side cables are the same thickness. is there more pressure on the front?
Posted By: arievd

Re: new guy on the block - 06/27/09 02:52 PM

The forestay is not designed to carry the load during sailing, it it only there to keep the mast up when the sails are down. The jib is designed to take all the load, and you adjust the mast rake by adjusting the tension on the jib halyard. The forestay will actually go slack when the jib is up, so don't sail without one (it is a dog anyways without the jib). Check around for a used one, most racers replace the jib frequently.

Re: new guy on the block - 06/27/09 11:08 PM

so is any one from eastern nc? or know of a hobie fleet here?
Posted By: Storz

Re: new guy on the block - 06/29/09 02:16 PM

I don't know of any Hobie specific fleets in eastern NC however the Eastern Multihull Sailing Assoc has a great website with links to lots of events. There is a pretty big catamaran scene in the South East with lots of races, and tons of experianced people to help out! I am still really new to it all but got a ride for the Pee Dee classic last spring and was totally welcomed as a newbie and learned a ton. Just a matter of time before I get a boat of my own smile

http://www.emsa-sailing.org/

Also the Pirates on the Pungo Regatta is coming up and has a multihull class

http://www.piratesonpungo.org/
Posted By: calcheck

Re: new guy on the block - 06/30/09 12:56 PM

Hi John here we don't have our boat out yet but sail on Emerald Isle- just a couple blocks from the campground at Coast Guard Road and 58. Beach access isn't the easiest. Write me a private message for the details. I'm headed there soon.
Posted By: drbinkle

Re: new guy on the block - 07/21/09 03:06 AM

Lots of NC H16 sailors here. We've got a couple NC regattas coming up on the emsa schedule: Hatteras and Catfest. Hope some of you can make it out.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums