Catsailor.com

self releasing trapeze shock cord ?

Posted By: flying_dutchman

self releasing trapeze shock cord ? - 09/02/09 10:43 AM

Did some searching within the forum but with no luck.
When capsizing / front dive (not to often anymore but still happening when sailing on the limits) we/I often destroy the shock cord holding the trapeze in place when not in use. mad
Made separate cords for all 4 to avoid loosing 2 at the same time but I'm looking for a better solution. confused
I'm interested in a hook or similar device that gives way / opens at "extreem" force. After righting the cat just re-attaching the trapeze and continue sailing. Just haven't found right part.
Anybody suggestions?
Posted By: flying_dutchman

Re: self releasing trapeze shock cord ? - 09/02/09 11:03 AM

Found some shock cords at a USA supplier showing plastic hooks at both ends. Anybody experience? Does it actually works?
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: self releasing trapeze shock cord ? - 09/02/09 12:41 PM

Some people have added a couple of blocks, on each side, under the tramp, in effect, doubling the length of the shock cord. This may extend the life of the cord, when overstretched, from trips around the forestay or off the back of the boat. I'd bet over time the results will be the same, and then you're replacing twice as much cord.

I have the plastic ends, but don't see them as practical for use as a quick release. There will be too much tension on the cord. Even using the hook without a keeper it would take two hands to release, IMO
Posted By: rattlenhum

Re: self releasing trapeze shock cord ? - 09/04/09 06:28 PM

I use the small plastic hooks (the kind that attach with a ferule) for 1/4" shockcord. They'll break before the cord blows, and they only cost like $1 (US). When you crash and break one, you can get by with a couple of half-hitches until you get a chance to replace.
Posted By: Brett Goodall

Re: self releasing trapeze shock cord ? - 09/04/09 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by _flatlander_
Some people have added a couple of blocks, on each side, under the tramp, in effect, doubling the length of the shock cord. This may extend the life of the cord, when overstretched, from trips around the forestay or off the back of the boat. I'd bet over time the results will be the same, and then you're replacing twice as much cord.

I do this on my CAPRICORN... It works a treat. I've been on a few missions out past the spinnaker and haven't snapped them.

Give that a go smile
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums