Catsailor.com

Rigged rebuilt H16 for 1st time, broke Dolphin Striker rod

Posted By: David L

Rigged rebuilt H16 for 1st time, broke Dolphin Striker rod - 11/08/09 11:12 PM

Hi folks,
Yesterday I was ready. After months of sanding, painting, rebuilding the steering and rudders, replacing the standing and running rigging,not to mention the trailer rebuild, I was ready to go sailing for the 1st time. Beautiful weather and wind. My friend who has been sailing Hobies for years came over to go with me, and agreed we should stand up the mast and rig the boat for the 1st time at my house before we ran off to the lake. Everything went together really smoothly. When we tried to lower the main, it was sticking , so I (standing on the ground in front of the boat) pulled down on the main halyard, while my friend was on the starboard tramp, and BANG! Something broke, but it wasn't obvious what. Only after lowering the mast and de-rigging did we find that the stainless steel reinforcing rod that travels under the dolphin striker and out to the forward pylons had snapped in half. There was corrosion inside the break area, so it had already cracked or failed from crevice corrosion. I was bummed to say the least, but at least it didn't happen on the water in the 20 mph winds we were having.
So, how to replace it? And should I even bother with a used one which may have it's own structural issues? It looks like I'll have to take one tramp panel off and drill out and remove at least 1 forward pylon to insert a new piece. Is this correct. Any spiritual guidance will be appreciated!
Thanks,
David

Posted By: Dan Berger

Re: Rigged rebuilt H16 for 1st time, broke Dolphin Striker rod - 11/09/09 03:12 PM

That's a new one!

Replacing the stainless 'wire' for the dolphin striker is pretty easy and you don't need to take the boat apart. That is, if there isn't too much corrosion where the rods inserts into the castings.

Cut the wire and bend it so that you have some leverage on it. Remove the nut on the outside of the casting and use the bend you have to wiggle it loose and pull it out.

Insert the new wire into the dolphin striker and then insert it into one of the castings, but don't put the nut on. The second casting is tough because you have to bend the wire to get it in and it is thick. It is definitely easier to get it in with the casting off, but you don't need to remove them. When you get it in, tighten the nuts so that there is just enough tension to take the slop out of the wire.

I have several front frames with dolphin strikers if you need one.

danberger @ mindspring.com
Posted By: David L

Re: Rigged rebuilt H16 for 1st time, broke Dolphin Striker rod - 11/09/09 05:52 PM

THANKS DAN!!
You just made my week with that info! The old striker rod came out easily, being in 2 pieces. I ordered a new one and it should be here in a few days.
I was thinking I might be able to "coax" the new one in without taking the frame apart, but didn't want to ruin a new rod with my usual "Godzilla School" mentality of boat building/repair!
Thanks again for the quick reply.
David smile
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums