Catsailor.com

Inspection Ports

Posted By: Southern sailor

Inspection Ports - 11/11/09 10:03 PM

I'm considering to put 4" inspection ports on my H14T for better ventilation of the hulls and for storage.
In order not to weaken the hulls, where should they go: foredeck; between the pylons or on the rear deck?
Thanx in advance for the advise.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Inspection Ports - 11/14/09 01:07 AM

It seems like the first place the hulls go soft is just in front of the forward pylons. Putting ports there gives you easily accessible storage and you can, if needed, inject resin into the foam sandwich to strengthen the decks.

JMHO
Posted By: arievd

Re: Inspection Ports - 11/14/09 01:56 PM

The reason the delam happens at that spot is because that part of the hull (in front of the pilon) is subject to the largest forces anywhere in the hull, so I would be hesitant to do anything there that would weaken the structure (and putting in ports would do exactly that).
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Inspection Ports - 11/15/09 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by arievd
The reason the delam happens at that spot is because that part of the hull (in front of the pilon) is subject to the largest forces anywhere in the hull, so I would be hesitant to do anything there that would weaken the structure (and putting in ports would do exactly that).

+1

If the only reason you are installing ports is ventilation, then put them between the pylons.
Posted By: Joel H.

Re: Inspection Ports - 02/02/10 10:12 PM

I have some delam. going on in front of the front pylon on my 14'. Is there a brand or model port that is more rigid than the usual plastic ones that would be a better choice to install in that area. Assuming that I also repair the delam.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums