Catsailor.com

Hull repair cover up

Posted By: JonT82

Hull repair cover up - 01/12/11 03:52 AM

Hello all..I aquired a 79 H16 for free from a customer of mine and I followed the steps for the epoxy injections for the soft spots. I was wondering whats the best way to cover the holes from the repair? Planing on painting the hulls as well when I have the money. Also I was wondering about the shroud cables. The cable itself seems to be in good shape but the outer coating has broken in some places. Is that a sign to be replaced? Love the forums and all the information from this site!!
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Hull repair cover up - 01/12/11 08:40 PM

You probably mean the plastic covering on the shrouds. The plastic is there to protect the main sail from wear. You can get snap on replacements.

That said if you don't know the age of the standing rigging it might be good insurance to replace them even if they look good.
Posted By: mmiller

Re: Hull repair cover up - 01/12/11 08:43 PM

You can fill with an epoxy putty and then sand if you are going to paint.

If the shroud's plastic covering is molded on type (vinyl) rather than the kind that is split and slides on a bare wire (which is less UV stable)... they must be pretty old. If the covers are the slip on type... maybe the wires are not too old, but still, I'd replace all the standing rigging if in doubt.
Posted By: JonT82

Re: Hull repair cover up - 01/12/11 09:19 PM

Thanks for the replies..yea I guess i'll just replace the rigging cause I really dont know how old it is. Better safe than sorry.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Hull repair cover up - 01/16/11 10:23 PM

Word!
Posted By: Mike Siddle

Re: Hull repair cover up - 04/17/11 08:45 PM

Always follow the manufacturer’s advice as regards to the bottom paint. Remember that most of these paints never go over top of varnish. Done well, a polished, glossy red bottom on a good cedar strip hull can look excellent, and cover up a lot of woes.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums