Catsailor.com

JIB: Upgrade to a single swivel cleat?

Posted By: Bluesman

JIB: Upgrade to a single swivel cleat? - 04/21/11 01:56 PM

My 84 has the stock jib setup with a pair of fixed swivel cam, cleats on the cross bar,and the tall sliding car with spring that slides on the track.

My spring jib cars, on the track need replacing, and instead of buying new ones, for almost the same price I am thinking about buying new swivel cam cleats with sliding cars from Salty dog marine and using just these on the track, and removing all of the old setup (including the swivel cleats on the crossbar). I don't feel the need for a traveler.

Here is the part I would buy:
Swivel cam cleat with car

I would appreciate any comments on doing this. I think the new hobies run this type of setup on the integrated track.

thanks

Posted By: rattlenhum

Re: JIB: Upgrade to a single swivel cleat? - 04/21/11 05:22 PM

Leave the swivel cleats for future use as jib travellers (when your feelings change!).
Posted By: Bluesman

Re: JIB: Upgrade to a single swivel cleat? - 04/21/11 06:14 PM

Sounds like a good plan. Are there any real disadvantages to loosing the spring car in the rigging?
Posted By: HMurphey

Re: JIB: Upgrade to a single swivel cleat? - 04/23/11 01:09 PM

Please go research how the most current H16's are equiped .... "rattlenhum" is correct ....

Harry
H18Mag/P19MX
Posted By: dseeker

Re: JIB: Upgrade to a single swivel cleat? - 04/24/11 06:11 AM

Hi, Nice to meet you.
Posted By: rattlenhum

Re: JIB: Upgrade to a single swivel cleat? - 04/25/11 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bluesman
Are there any real disadvantages to loosing the spring car in the rigging?

None at all. You will find that the replacements you are proposing are far superior.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: JIB: Upgrade to a single swivel cleat? - 04/26/11 11:59 PM

Here's some stuff from one of my really old posts:

I used Trentec cars with Harken cleats mounted between the track and the mast base for 20 years. You can add additional lines to set up a barber haul system to set the cars where you want them. It's a bullet proof system.
[...]
The Trentec cars pull to the center with a bungee that passes in front of the mast through a pad eye.

The barber haul lines (red and green) go around a cheek block pop riveted to the corner casting, through the pad eye, through the lance cleat for adjustment and are tied to the shrouds.

The jib sheet is tied off with a figure eight knot in the Trentec car. It goes through the block on the jib, through a block that’s attached to the car with a shackle, through the Harken cleat and to the crew.

[Linked Image]

Don't put those swivel cam cleats with cars in the old style tracks. You'll eventually rip them out by the roots.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums