Catsailor.com

Experiments on H16

Posted By: jabram

Experiments on H16 - 06/16/01 06:17 PM

Was just wondering what experience anyone has with experimenting with different sail plans on the H16? We always talk about if a square top main would make the boat that much better? Any thoughts? also any other sail mods you might of done would be great to hear.
<br>
<br>Thanks
<br>Jody Abrams<br><br>
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Experiments on H16 - 06/17/01 04:27 PM

I have a square top main that was built by Randy Smyth and am in the process of having him build a jib to match. The square top main depowers in strong winds when driving down wind which lessens the pitchpole effect. And the H16 is faster and points better with the square top. Over all it is faster and performs better with this sail set up, big surprise! I also use a furling sail set up some times which is nice when recreational sailing and when teaching lessons. The Trailside Learn to Sail video which I think is the best beginner learn to sail video ever uses a H16 with a furling jib. In the H16 Trapseat class we use 400 foot symmetrical spinnakers which is a blast to use and down wind there is few boats that will keep up with you. People tell us an asymmetrical spinnaker would be faster but on the H16 this has not been our experience, we've tried both.
<br>
<br>Hope that answers some of your questions.<br><br>
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Experiments on H16 - 06/18/01 02:57 PM

Miles,
<br>
<br>My current set of sails are really shot and was thinking of going with a square top. What did Randy charge for Main and Jib?
<br>
<br>Eric<br><br>
Posted By: sail-s

Re: Experiments on H16 - 06/25/01 10:39 PM

I can't remember the exact cost but I think it was around $700 to $800 for the main and well worth it!<br><br>

Attached File
224-  (156 downloads)
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums