Catsailor.com

Placement of tells on Hobie 16 Main and Jib sails

Posted By: '81 Hobie 16 Lac Leman

Placement of tells on Hobie 16 Main and Jib sails - 05/24/12 07:33 PM

Hey there--I recently bought a 1981 Hobie 16. Novice sailor but already enjoying sailing it on Lake Geneva in Switzerland. Using Rick White's videos to learn but of course understand that time on the water is key..

My original Neil Pryde sails are in good shape but do not have tells. I need to 1) buy tells 2) place them on both sails. Would also like to get shroud tells but may end up using cassette tape (I am old and there is plenty lying around). Is there a best tell to buy and is there a good diagram that shows best placement? I

The boat leaks, is a beach cat, and electricity access is a problem. Any ideas about how to best deal with leaks? Figure it takes on about a liter each 3 hours or so...(replacing boat not an option, smile.)

Thanks for any help..RWs videos are amazing. Bravo! wink
Posted By: mmiller

Re: Placement of tells on Hobie 16 Main and Jib sails - 05/25/12 12:39 AM

Placement: http://www.hobiecat.com/support/products/hobie-16/
[Linked Image]

Leaks: Leak test

Fix may require silicone or possibly fiberglass work.
Posted By: flying_dutchman

Re: Placement of tells on Hobie 16 Main and Jib sails - 06/07/12 08:47 PM

Using jib tell tales is easy - mainsail upper and middle for high wind sailing and middle and lower for flyer- downwind not to tricky neither.
However mounted the 4 on the leech but did not yet manage to have all 4 in desired position simultaneously. Managed to get 3 ok but always one in between flies out of formation..
Amazing !

Re: Placement of tells on Hobie 16 Main and Jib sails - 06/08/12 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by flying_dutchman
mounted the 4 on the leech but did not yet manage to have all 4 in desired position simultaneously. Managed to get 3 ok but always one in between flies out of formation.

With leech tells... That is the desired result. They alternate between flowing aft and hooking to the back side. Flowing all the time would indicate under sheeted. Hooking to the back side all the time is over sheeted. You want a little of both typically.
Posted By: flying_dutchman

Re: Placement of tells on Hobie 16 Main and Jib sails - 06/09/12 08:27 PM

Thanks for the info Matt.
Sailing H16 for over a decade now and still enjoying it.
Mostly learning by trial and error - just finally added a spi.
I think it is about time to study the theoretical side a little more as well
Crewed on a number of - mostly F18 - other cats but Hobie16 offers by far the most fun !
Posted By: Swedcat

Re: Placement of tells on Hobie 16 Main and Jib sails - 06/18/12 07:19 PM

Can you tell me the exact length of the shrouds for a hobie 16'? Thanks

Re: Placement of tells on Hobie 16 Main and Jib sails - 06/19/12 10:10 PM

They have varied over the years. Currently 18' 10 1/4" since 2009.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums