Catsailor.com

on the wire

Posted By: Anonymous

on the wire - 08/07/01 12:44 AM

I just came back from vacation and noticed that "On The Wire" has a new issue.
<br>www.catsail.com<br><br>
Posted By: sail-s

Re: on the wire - 08/07/01 04:12 PM

Yes and great article on H16 mast rake! Nice to see the site is going again.<br><br>

Attached File
1414-  (61 downloads)

Re: on the wire - 08/07/01 05:55 PM

I agree that was a great article and it cleared up a lot of questions I had. But ... I still have one more question lingering. Can someone help me?
<br>
<br>The article shows you should have a second chain plate to attach your forestay. Ok. But what confuses me is that is says when you hoist your jib, you should attach it to the lower chainplate. (Or did I misunderstand?). Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the second chainplate? Shouldn't the jib also be attached to the top chainplate for maximum rake?
<br>
<br>PS. I love the Tshirt for sale on that site about "I love PWC ... at 12:00 with tone" ... I think I want one. :-)<br><br>

Attached File
1419-  (49 downloads)

Re: on the wire - 08/08/01 08:57 PM

The purpose of the second chainplate is to let you rake the mast farther back without needing a longer forstay. Attaching the jib to the lower chainplate doesn't make a difference on how much you can rake the mast, because you use the jib halyard to pull it tight (it sets as needed). You can put the jib anywhere on either chainplate, and it would work. The reason to put it on the bottom the lower one is to leave the slot between the sails open as much as possible.
<br>
<br>David
<br><br><br>

Attached File
1466-  (53 downloads)

Re: on the wire - 08/09/01 02:13 PM

Also, keeping the jib attached to the lower chainplate helps keep the jib from hanging up on the halyards.<br><br>

Attached File
1489-  (47 downloads)

Re: on the wire - 08/11/01 12:39 AM

I have both T's and get questions on both. Just about everyone has positive comments about the "12 o'clock with tone" shirt. the other is just plain cool.
<br>dave v <br><br>
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums