Catsailor.com

reefed main?

Posted By: rhodysail

reefed main? - 03/14/04 02:34 PM

Anyone ever race a 16 with a reefed main?
I can think of one race at North Americans where it probably would have been faster for us.

This picture is from the '03 Europeans.
Notice thee reef points.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jmhoying

Re: reefed main? - 03/14/04 05:02 PM

Do you think they were using the old style halyard, or do they use another method to hold the sail up in the reefed position?
Jack
Posted By: rhodysail

Re: reefed main? - 03/14/04 05:32 PM

you need a longer wire section on the main halyard and two nicro press sleves on it.
Posted By: mbounds

Re: reefed main? - 03/14/04 05:45 PM

Bob,

The reef points were taken out of the Hobie USA sails in 1985 when the CompTip was introduced. Since most of the rest of the world still has solid aluminum masts, they still have the reef points.

However, in 31 years of racing 16's, I can't remember ever racing with the main reefed. Usually if it's so windy that you'd want to reef, the race committee bails out.

As I recall, upwind performance suffers significantly when reefed; downwind is where you really want to reduce sail area to avoid the pitchpole. There are other ways to reduce projected sail area downwind (like traveller/sheeting in) that work just as well.

Might be handy in a distance race, though.
Posted By: Tom Korz

back in the day - 03/15/04 04:23 AM

I have raced in 2 Nationals where there were plenty of reefed boats. 1980? Ocean City and 81 South Padre Is. South Padre there were only 11 boats full sail in one race out of 48. I was full sail and wished I had reefed. (ended up 11 in that race)

Photos from Angola Circa 1981 in about 25+ w/6-8 footers
Rick Quatrone & Anne Anderson on board, you have to look close at the pics to see who was on board when. Cause they were the only ones I could talk into going out for a casual day sail.

Attached picture 31319-Reefed in the day.jpg

Re: back in the day 2 - 03/15/04 04:28 AM

a couple more pics

Attached picture 31320-Reefed in the day1.jpg

Found a South Padre Pic!!!!! - 03/15/04 04:56 AM

riggin' to go racin'

Attached picture 31322-spday3.jpg
Posted By: dannyb9

Re: reefed main? - 03/15/04 02:12 PM

ive raced my 16 with reefed main and roller furling (smaller) jib singlehanded against our 16 fleet when i didnt have a crew, boatspeed seems to be about equal.
Posted By: Sunjammers

Re: reefed main? - 03/16/04 05:01 AM

Tom,

Your starting to show your age here with all the old photo's. I wasn't even born when those pic's were taken!

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
Division 15 Chairman
Panama City Beach, FL
brad@sunjammers.com
850-235-2281
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums