Catsailor.com

Hobie 14 steering problems

Posted By: heavyair14

Hobie 14 steering problems - 10/04/01 07:06 PM

I have a 1975 Hobie 14 with what appears to be newer rudder casings on it. But when sailing in winds above 10-15 knots I get alot of weather helm while on one tack. This happens at all points of sail. What is the best way to correct this problem? I have looked at new rudder casings but the cost is to high for the amount of times a year I get to race a Hobie 14. <br><br>

Attached File
2981-  (48 downloads)
Posted By: Clayton

Re: Hobie 14 steering problems - 10/07/01 02:51 AM

You might want to check the shroud length and or settings. If the mast is tilted one way or another it will handle differently on opposite tacks. Also check the rake on the rudders. They might need to be adjusted (maybe just one if the problem is on one tack). Make sure they are the same. Prop the back of the boat up maybe while on the trailer with the tongue on the ground and check the rudder rake with the rudders in the down and locked position.
<br>
<br>Good luck
<br>Clayton<br><br>
Posted By: ScaredyCat

Re: Hobie 14 steering problems - 10/12/01 11:18 PM

Make sure the left rudder is on the left side and the right rudder is on the right side! I did it in the past and it makes steerage quite difficult, particularly in heavy winds!
<br>
<br>SC<br><br>

Attached File
3113-  (39 downloads)
Posted By: heavyair14

Re: Hobie 14 steering problems - 10/14/01 08:47 PM

Will raking the mast help? My mast is as straight as possible. I may need to have the shrouds shortened to rake the mast for frostbite racing anyway. <br><br>

Attached File
3131-  (38 downloads)
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums