Catsailor.com

where to get mast step link for hobie 16?

Posted By: more100mphtape

where to get mast step link for hobie 16? - 09/13/05 06:20 PM

of course hobie sells this product but are there other suppliers?, if so who--mangled mine, i have read guys picking up 2 and having one as a spare--thanks in advance!
Posted By: Captain_Dave

Re: where to get mast step link for hobie 16? - 09/13/05 06:36 PM

I am pretty sure it is a Hobie-specific product. You will either have to order from one of the Cat suppliers or a Hobie dealer. Catsailer.com has worked very well (and fast) for me if you are comfortable with ordering online.

-buy a spare too.

Dave

Posted By: Clint_SA

Re: where to get mast step link for hobie 16? - 09/14/05 07:18 AM

Yo Dave, out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your step-links? The way you recommend getting two makes it seem 'cheap'? I've reverted to using a rope, which with the right technique is very quick. But the step-link is way better..just expensive here?
Posted By: JaimeZX

Re: where to get mast step link for hobie 16? - 09/14/05 11:34 AM

They cost about $25USD.

Re: where to get mast step link for hobie 16? - 09/14/05 02:32 PM

Last time I checked it was just under 50USD here.. That depends on how the exchange rate goes of course...

Re: where to get mast step link for hobie 16? - 09/15/05 03:12 PM

Clint,

I do not have my receipt handy, but if my memory serves, I think I paid around $50 canadian for two kits. This is a little cheaper than Jaime`s price. However, with the amount of little parts I have ordered over the past months, I could be mistaken. Then again, Jaime has been in the desert a long time!

I think that building your own step link would be pretty darn easy with a drill and chopsaw (metal saw). It may be worth it given what they cost you down there.

Hey Clint, I was out on my cruiser the other day and came across another boat with the same Zulu name that you use. Just curious...what does Dubulamanzi mean?

Dave

Posted By: whoa

Re: where to get mast step link for hobie 16? - 09/15/05 03:24 PM

Yo Fasttape, Not sure where you live, but you need the murrays catalog. The link I inherited with my H16 was also mangled. Not sure if I ordered it's replacement from this website's catalog or elsewhere, but the one I have now is heavy duty and way better than the old one. I step (solo) everytime I sail, and although you have to remove the HD hinge, it has proven vastly superior to the old one. $25. in Murrays catalog page 27. I think catsailor has same price.
Posted By: mmiller

Re: where to get mast step link for hobie 16? - 09/15/05 05:38 PM

# 21380001 in the Hobie Parts Catalog $16.80 each.

I redesigned the Hobie link in the late 80's or early 90's. Has a welded strut between the two contacts where it hits the step casting. A sleeve between the area that it pins to the step casting and heavier pins. All keeps the link from distorting.
Posted By: whoa

Re: where to get mast step link for hobie 16? - 09/16/05 12:23 AM

Matt,
What a shame. I guess the fact that the redesigned Hobie step link does not appear with a price anywhere in the Hobie 2005-06 catalog is the fact that it's such a low cost item. Your description sounds like the product is much improved. I had no way to know this from the catalog. Thanks for your post!

Re: where to get mast step link for hobie 16? - 09/16/05 12:27 PM

Hi Dave
Dubulamanzi means to shoot the water.
Dubu means shoot and amanzi is water.
Its pronounced, Doo-boo-la-a-maan-zee
From chatting to some guys, it should actually be Dabalamanzi as Daba means to slice..hence slice the water. But i'll stick with this one for now:) I just wish the damn stickers were not that big...

Re: where to get mast step link for hobie 16? - 09/16/05 02:24 PM

...very cool name Clint! I like the "big stickers" too - can be easily recognized on the water.

Dave

Re: where to get mast step link for hobie 16? - 09/16/05 03:48 PM

the redesigned Hobie step link does not appear with a price anywhere in the Hobie 2005-06 catalog

We have never shown the link in the catalogs except as a part in the diagrams and price list in the back. It is there.
Posted By: h77

Re: where to get mast step link for hobie 16? - 09/16/05 04:13 PM

Hi guys,

do you know if it's possible to use Hobie part #21380001 (the mast step link) on older boats? Like the ones having that tooth-like extrusion at the mast base? I suppose you'd have to drill a hole in there...

Best regards,

H77

Re: where to get mast step link for hobie 16? - 09/16/05 07:12 PM

Yes, you can adapt the old boats for a step link. Cut of the hook, drill a hole in the base nub that is left and remove the pin in the step.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums