Catsailor.com

Belongs in an Art Museum

Posted By: Jeff Peterson

Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/19/05 06:18 AM

The Hobie-16 Tequila Sunrise model is not just a boat, but it is a work of great art ! There is not a more beautiful sailboat in the world that the Tequila Sunrise. If you had to show someone just one picture of a sailboat, you would choose this one. After all these years, I still find my boat breath-taking!
Posted By: drbinkle

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/19/05 02:44 PM

I agree, the newer teals and whites just can't compete with the classics.
Posted By: Dan Berger

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/19/05 04:40 PM

I agree, there is nothing like a nice tequila Sunrise or Carumba sail because it reminds me of my days at sailing camp in the 70s and 80s.

However, it seems that people only remember the name "Tequila Sunrise", so when selling used sails or boats, anything with color in it is either "rainbow" or Tequila Sunrise. I see it all the time on eBay when some ignorant person tries to sell some sails.

Sorry--just a pet peave of mine.
Posted By: newbiesailor

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/19/05 04:40 PM

YES!!! representing the tequila sunrise, my dad owned one and now i do too... ok, this photo doesnt do the tequila sunrise justice, but it's a beaut' this photo needs a little explanation, i was taking my brother and his friend out on tahoe and we were sailing out toward the middle of the lake and we see my parents screaming up to us in our cobalt. my dad is yelling directions at me to "slow down!" and "turn back!" while my mom is shooting pictures of us like a demented tourist, that is why we have the wierd looks on our faces and not doing something cool like trapping.

Attached picture 59909-hobie.JPG
Posted By: H2814D

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/20/05 01:56 AM

Of course I am partial to the Carumba Color Scheme. You are right about the new boats and the lack of color. No excitement.

I went to the Hobie North American Nationals in Ventura in July. There were 35 new boats out on the water, all with the blue/gray/white sails. Only thing duller was the racing weather...no wind for the first few days.

I wanted to buy one of the race boats because mine is an '80 and is starting to get the soft spots and wear. Just time for a new one cuz I deserve it. But when I saw those, and compared the colors, I just couldn't bring myself to get something so drab.

Anyway, here is a pic of my boat (with the colorful Carumba sails!!)on Mission Bay in San Diego a few weeks ago. Had a blast.

Sail Safe. HD.

Attached picture 59942-DSCF0353.JPG
Posted By: JaimeZX

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/20/05 05:22 AM

I think that's a good question for Matt. How come the sail colors are more um... reserved than they used to be?

(Not that I'm one to talk here...)
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/20/05 11:59 AM

Hmmm . . . I posted this yesterday, but my post disappeared.

In speaking with Dan Mangus, Director of Marketing for Hobie Cat, they would love to bring back the Carumba and Tequila Sunrise patterns.

However, the colors of the sailcloth they use now are not available unless they buy huge quantities. They aren't making as many sails as they used to, so they can't justify sitting on a huge inventory of sailcloth.

That's why the color palettes are limited. There are only four colors being used now - blue (teal), red, yellow, gray.

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/20/05 09:27 PM

Hmm...I think the price of old sails just went up with that bit of information.
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/20/05 10:56 PM

Hmmm...Willing to trade set of highly sought after, 1980, H16, Carumba sails for newer vintage with 2 seasons or less use, color not important, you pay freight.
Posted By: dannyb9

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/23/05 11:21 PM

i have a similar main, i really like it...in fact i found a similar replacement a few months ago on ebay. if i were hobie i would scrap the grey and do combinations of red, yellow, blue, and orange. heat it up dudes!
Posted By: mmiller

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/24/05 10:50 PM

Use brighter colors?

like:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All 2006 sail colors

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/24/05 11:04 PM

yes... needs to be brighter still
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/25/05 02:15 AM

Man, if those were any brighter, you'd need welding goggles to look at the sail!

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/25/05 08:30 PM

...And put radium in the pigments so the sails glow in the dark !

Seriously, though, why are the jibs not multi-colored in new Hobies ?
Posted By: mmiller

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/25/05 11:56 PM

Why the solid jibs?

Mostly to be different. You can now add a jib color of your choice.

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/26/05 12:26 AM

then theres the matter of sailing in the dark... isnt that dangerous???
Posted By: JaimeZX

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/29/05 06:18 PM

Naah. You just tie red & green glow-sticks to the shrouds.

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/30/05 09:18 AM

but then theres the matter of seeing where you are going... ok, i guess it wouldnt be anymore dangerous than in a motorboat, they have no idea where they are going either...
Posted By: Skipshot

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 10/31/05 04:07 AM

Night sailing is a whole new experience you should try if given the chance. While in college with the sailing club on an overnight weekend a windsurfer got the bright idea to duct tape a flashlight to the base of his mast, shine the light into his sail, and go sailing. Next thing, the whole club of about five windsurfers and 10 boats was out there with the same idea, but the Hobies and windsurfers had the best profile with the beautiful colors brightly lit - you could see the sails from anywhere on the lake. The light of the moon and familarity with the lake was enough to avoid hazards.
Posted By: GrampaSandy

Re: Belongs in an Art Museum - 01/23/21 07:58 PM

Thanks for the post. I'm trying to make a Carumba t-shirt for my grandson who was happy when I gave him a 1980 HC16 with Carumba sails for his birthday. Any other pics you could share?
GrampaSandy@gmail.com
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums