Catsailor.com

Vinyl vs. Mesh Tramps

Posted By: meddoctr

Vinyl vs. Mesh Tramps - 03/29/06 05:56 AM

What are the benefits of having either a vinyl or mesh tramp?
Posted By: jmhoying

Re: Vinyl vs. Mesh Tramps - 03/29/06 03:24 PM

They are both strong, so I don't think there is a concern there. The solid vinyl will probably outlast a mesh tramp if left out in the weather constantly. Obviously when sailing with a mesh tramp, you'll get some (sometimes a lot) of splash coming through the tramp. On the other hand, any water on the tramp quickly dries on the mesh. We do mostly cruising on our boat and often have beverages and lunch on the water. A spill on the vinyl tramp was always a mess since it didn't drain away, but it's no concern with our mesh tramp.
Good luck,
Jack
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Vinyl vs. Mesh Tramps - 03/29/06 04:44 PM

Anybody use 303 or similar protectorant on their mesh tramp to extend life? Or is this an accident waiting to happen (i.e. slippery)?
Posted By: hobienick

Re: Vinyl vs. Mesh Tramps - 03/29/06 05:43 PM

I have always had the solid vinyl tramps and really like them. I tend to sail in cooler water and I like the spray protection. I've never had an issue with spills or sand not washing off. Since I'm on the water anyway I just reach over teh side and splash some on the tramp if I need to. I also found (from sailing freinds boats) that the mesh is a little tougher on the knees.
Posted By: drbinkle

Re: Vinyl vs. Mesh Tramps - 03/31/06 12:47 AM

I have a vinyl tramp but I've thought about switching to mesh a few times. I decided to stay with vinyl mostly because waves don't splash through and itwon't tear up your knees as much.
Posted By: MarkD

Re: Vinyl vs. Mesh Tramps - 03/31/06 12:58 AM

stay dry, go vinyl
Posted By: tshan

Re: Vinyl vs. Mesh Tramps - 03/31/06 04:20 AM

You know what they say about going vinyl.....
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums