Catsailor.com

Rail Carpet

Posted By: Jeremy

Rail Carpet - 04/04/06 04:26 AM

I see that many H16s have carpet on the rails. Thats great, I am sure it helps from sliding when out on the trap. Where do I get some of that carpet and how do I put it on?
Posted By: newbiesailor

Re: Rail Carpet - 04/04/06 04:53 AM

you can order a carpeting kit from your local hobie dealer's catalogue... i personally have the neoprene kit, and i think its great, feels like theres less sliding when its wet and sand and junk cant get caught in it like it can on the fibers of carpet. its a few dollars more, but i think its better than carpet and worth it. hope that helps
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Rail Carpet - 04/04/06 05:07 AM

Any cat dealer will carry kits. I'll bet Rick has kits too. You can get either carpet or rubber. The carpet will probably be cooler to the touch.
Posted By: mattp

Re: Rail Carpet - 04/04/06 12:15 PM

I bought a piece of outdoor carpet from Lowes and some contact cement. It has ribs that seem to add a little extra grip. Looks like this except blue. Worked out pretty well for cheap.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Rail Carpet - 04/05/06 05:41 AM

http://hydroturf.com/products.php?cat=Sheets%20of%20Hydro-Turf
Posted By: Skipshot

Re: Rail Carpet - 04/09/06 05:59 AM

I'll try replacing my rail rug with the neoprene this season since the rug gets wet and stays wet. Call me a wimp, but if I don't have to deal with the wet I won't; and for $7 more than the rug from the Hobie catalog it's worth it to me.
Posted By: mmiller

Re: Rail Carpet - 04/10/06 02:11 AM

The worst thing about carpet is that it stays wet. When you are all dry and derigging on the trailer...you lean over the rail to reach something on the tramp and ahhh soaking wet T shirt! I like the neoprene.
Posted By: will_FL

Re: Rail Carpet - 06/28/06 05:43 AM

Doug - which neoprene stuff is best for the rail on the site you posted?

other than carpet and neoprene, what else gives good grip?
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Rail Carpet - 06/28/06 01:23 PM

will,

get some of the 'B' stock sheets, it's cheapest, or a color that suits your fancy. A lot of stuff gives "good grip", carpet or neoprene is most comfortable on the tail bone.
Posted By: hrtsailor

Re: Rail Carpet - 06/28/06 04:28 PM

I found that strips of non-skid rubber used in bathtubs, etc. works well. Avoid the strips that have abrasive. The strips come ready to stick on and have held up well. I think I replaced them once in a few years.

Howard
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums