Catsailor.com

Drilling/replacing old rivets.

Posted By: Captain_Dave

Drilling/replacing old rivets. - 04/10/06 03:47 PM

I have noticed a few loose rivets in a rear corner casting as well as in the jib-car tracks.

I have a good (big) rivet tool and my question is: Is it best to drill out old rivets and simply re-rivet a replacement, or is it better to drill a new hole for a new rivet? Any advice/tips?

Thanks

Dave
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Drilling/replacing old rivets. - 04/10/06 04:31 PM

I replaced rivets and used the old holes with no problems. If the holes have grown you'll want to use rivet casings. Murray's carries them part #19-5020.
Posted By: hobienick

Re: Drilling/replacing old rivets. - 04/10/06 04:33 PM

Also, when drilling out old rivits you want to use an oversized drill and just drill off the head of the rivit. This way you don't chew up the exisiting hole. Just be careful not to drill too far into the rivit.
Posted By: Captain_Dave

Re: Drilling/replacing old rivets. - 04/10/06 05:16 PM

Thanks fellas,

I didn`t know about "rivet casings". Glad I do now - what handy little things those must be.

Dave

Dave
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Drilling/replacing old rivets. - 04/10/06 05:27 PM

I like to use an angle grinder for the rivet heads, never had a rivet spin on me.
Posted By: hobienick

Re: Drilling/replacing old rivets. - 04/10/06 05:28 PM

They are also nice when using SS rivits on aluminum. If you get a nonreactive material (like Monel) it will reduce the corrossion at the rivit.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Drilling/replacing old rivets. - 04/10/06 05:33 PM

Thanks fellas,

I didn`t know about "rivet casings". Glad I do now - what handy little things those must be.
They are! Here's a question for the general population of this forum. Does anyone know of a place that sells different sizes of rivet casings? TIA
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums