Catsailor.com

Newbie Trap Harness Question

Posted By: alan_ellis

Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/10/06 05:46 PM

Hello, I'm very new to cat sailing. I recently bought a 1985 Hobie 16 (for a song) which is in excellent condition. It's pretty much ready to sail but I need a trapeze harness. I've checked on Murrays.com and looked at the various harnesses but there are several different models and styles. My sailing is going to be on a 2500 acre lake so I probably won't be out on trap for long periods of time before I have to change direction. Anyway, I need a recommendation for a harness for the wife and I. I appreciate all responses and help. Oh, here's a pic of my boat.

http://www.jackieandalan.com/images/hobie16.jpg

Alan
Posted By: hrtsailor

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/10/06 05:55 PM

Alan,

I am almost sorry to hear that you got an '85 H-16 for a low price since I own one and don't want the price to go down . I use the standard Hobie harness that has the full shoulder straps. I find it is much more comfortable than the so called "butt bucket". You may plan to just sail on the small lake but my guess is that you will trailer the boat to other bodies of water once you get used to it. You will enjoy it. I bought my boat new in '85 and have been sailing it for 21 years.

Howard
Posted By: deq204

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/10/06 05:58 PM

Hi - and welcome to the exciting world of Hobie Cat sailing. For what it's worth, I really like the magic Marine Pro Mesh harness:

http://www.magicmarinegear.com/m/_general/p_harn.asp

[Linked Image]

my $.02

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/10/06 06:01 PM

Howard,

Thanks for the info. I paid $850 with trailer and extra sails. It has been parked in an enclosed barn for 7 years. I think the guy just wanted to get rid of it. I obliged him.

AE

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/10/06 06:05 PM

Hi - and welcome to the exciting world of Hobie Cat sailing. For what it's worth, I really like the magic Marine Pro Mesh harness:

Mmmmm....looks good. What does something like that cost? Also, I'm using a Stohlquist Drift pfd. Can you use that harness with a pfd? Do you guys use pfds? Thanks.

AE
Posted By: deq204

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/10/06 06:45 PM

1st off - always wear a PDF. Yes I wear an Extrasport PDF over that harness, My wife has a Hobie Harness and she wears the Harness over her PDF. It's all a matter of preference.

The Pro-mesh is around $130.00 I guess. I can't remember.

They have a Dealer Locator that may help you out.

Magic Marine is not hard to find. The Hobie Harness is a good one too. I like full for back support - but in light or flukie air I will wear a butt bucket / Half harness, if there is a lot of in and out.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/10/06 06:50 PM

You scored on the price!

The Hobie Full Auto harnesses are great. Very adjustable and quite confortable. Don't get a butt bucket. They have no back support.
Posted By: drbinkle

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/10/06 07:56 PM

since you're not going to be trapped out for long periods at a time, back support is not that big of an issue

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/10/06 08:37 PM

since you're not going to be trapped out for long periods at a time, back support is not that big of an issue

That's what I'm thinking. But I plan to ask around a bit. We have a big cat community here in OKC, so I'll check and see what everyone else is doing.

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/10/06 08:43 PM

That's what I'm thinking. But I plan to ask around a bit. We have a big cat community here in OKC, so I'll check and see what everyone else is doing.
Try a butt bucket first and then a full harness. That should help you decide.
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/10/06 09:29 PM

That's what I'm thinking. But I plan to ask around a bit. We have a big cat community here in OKC, so I'll check and see what everyone else is doing. [/quote]

Hi Alan,

Get out there to Lake Hefner, get that thing wet, find out what harness works for you guys and join in on the festivities the 29th and 30th of this month!

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/10/06 09:38 PM

Get out there to Lake Hefner, get that thing wet, find out what harness works for you guys and join in on the festivities the 29th and 30th of this month!

It's parked at Hefner now! It is supposed to be almost 90 this weekend so you better believe that I will be out there. I plan on being at the Hobie festivities on the 29th. See you there. Oh...bring some Fat Tire beer. We can't get it in Oklahoma.
Posted By: mattp

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/11/06 03:35 AM

I have the Hobie Skipper's harness. I can't remember how much it cost but I know cost was a factor when I bought it. I have spent at least 15 to 20 minutes in it on a tack and can't complain about discomfort. I have spent a bit of time in climbing harnesses so it could be relative.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CMerrell

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/11/06 12:37 PM

Personnal preference plays a big part in harness selection. Try to borrow and sail using several other peoples' harnesses to get an idea what you may like.

I have a full Murrays and a half Hobie. I prefer the half but I'm in the minority. The padding in the Hobie tends to soak up a lot of water. The Murrays is almost shot and I need to replace it so, if anyone has recent gear reviews, I'd like to hear them.
Posted By: flying_dutchman

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/12/06 11:32 PM

Alan,
About 1/2 year ago a similar subject was actual on the forum, "Looking for harness recommendation". Might give some additional information. I tried some before buying one. And sailing quite often alone I use the trapeze any moment I can. Surely big part of all the fun - also also on short tacking courses!!!
Good luck

Eddie
Hobie # 99173
Posted By: ReefedOne

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/12/06 11:38 PM

As a male, a bigger consideration than full or half harness might be crotched (diaper) or crotchless design. I prefer crotchless, though a bit more hassle to get on/off. Women don't seem to care as much, one way or the other, lol.

OTOH, some hardcore offshore type guys wear a jock+cup (plus shin guards, helmets, etc.), in case they end up straddling a spar, so the diaper kind works fine and even adds more padding, "just in case".

Something to consider...
Posted By: Mac05

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/13/06 02:21 AM

Personally, I like the security of a full harness, and DEFINETLY go crotchless . When out on the wire you can cinch in the shoulder straps to redistribute the "hang" of the harness, and if you find it too restricting just loosen the straps. I have three harnesses, and the Hobie full harness gets the nod from me.

Just my 2 cents....Have fun!

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/13/06 06:01 PM

two cents? Maybe we should up the antie.

Nappy or crotchless? We have two full Nappy (Musto) and one full crotchless (old school Murray's). All are one size too large, in order to get the spreader bar in the proper position (i.e. so it doesn't grind into your pelvic bone while in use or on tramp). Neither of us like the crotchless at all, it fatigues the legs sooner, and is not as comfortable. We usually sail for four to six hours at a go and are trapped out when possible (most of the time is windy enough).

We have worn one layer of fabric off the seat of the Mustos. Probably mostly due to dinghie sailing on boat with non skid gunwhales. But, like having good knees and seats in foul weather attire it's something I'll check closer before the next purchase.
Posted By: Mac05

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/13/06 06:32 PM

Interesting! I have a newer Jeff Alter full harness, crotchless design. The leg straps have lots of adjustment and are padded heavily. My nappy style harnesses are old, and that may be why they are so uncomfortable on longer hauls. The spreader bar is so much more comfortable (for me!) than the buckles on my nappy harness.

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/13/06 07:52 PM

Agreed, buckles are out of the question. I/we haven't tried any newer crotchless, but are happy with the new nappy (sorry) and the price was right. Got ours on close-out (probably do to preconcieved notion they are uncomfortable).

It's been said already but, try as many as possible before you buy. We're all human an therefore shaped differently.

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/14/06 02:36 AM

I don't think I'm gonna be 4-6 hours out on trap so I'm not sure if I'll need a full harness. I just got the Murrays catalog today and there are a lot of harness options. I'm thinking for starters, I'll try the Murray Classic Half Harness for $50. After getting that catalog, I found about $1000 worth of other stuff I want. Damn add-ons are gonna cost me more than the boat.

A couple of more questions if you don't mind:

1. Has anyone tried the Anti-Pitchpole Hydrofoils? Do they work and are they worth the money for a novice.
2. Do you recommend a Jib Roller Furler?
3. What is the best righting system?
4. Do most people use mast floats?

I know it is a lot of questions but I appreciate all the help and advice. I'm learning more and more each day!

Alan

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/14/06 04:01 AM

Damn add-ons are gonna cost me more than the boat.

If you're buying the boat from a dealer get all the extra stuff through them. They should cut you a discount on everything.

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/14/06 04:37 AM

If you're buying the boat from a dealer get all the extra stuff through them. They should cut you a discount on everything.

It is a 1985 model which I got for under $1000.

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/14/06 04:43 AM

It is a 1985 model which I got for under $1000.
You scored. Buy good equipment so when you move up to another boat (you will, trust me) you'll already be set.

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/14/06 05:23 PM

I don't think I'm gonna be 4-6 hours out on trap so I'm not sure if I'll need a full harness. I just got the Murrays catalog today and there are a lot of harness options. I'm thinking for starters, I'll try the Murray Classic Half Harness for $50. After getting that catalog, I found about $1000 worth of other stuff I want. Damn add-ons are gonna cost me more than the boat.

A couple of more questions if you don't mind:

1. Has anyone tried the Anti-Pitchpole Hydrofoils? Do they work and are they worth the money for a novice.
2. Do you recommend a Jib Roller Furler?
3. What is the best righting system?
4. Do most people use mast floats?

I know it is a lot of questions but I appreciate all the help and advice. I'm learning more and more each day!

Alan

Alan,
Whoa, whoa, 4 to 6 hours on the lake total, wearing the harness, not all trap time and downwind no trapezeing.
Reply to:
1. I know a 14 sailor who loves the anti-pitchpole thingies (always trying to set speed records) I'd sail without to get the real feel for what can/will happen if you push it too far.
2. Roller furler would require no jib battens or a different jib sail, the convenience doesn't seem worth the bucks.
3. Hawaiian style is our preference.
4. No floats, throw your mast in the lake and check for leaks.

BTW, 1, 2 and 4 aren't class legal for racing. 3 is required. We're planning on chasing you and your wife around some cans.
Posted By: bullswan

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/16/06 07:30 PM

Alan,
Someone needs to point out ( as it was pointed out to me when I first found this wonderful resource) that this forum is made possible by two wonderful people, Rick and Mary, who also provide us "the online store" where you can get all the catamaraning stuff you need/want. Please try to frequent their store and say thanks. Click on the Catamaran Sailor Icon at the top/left and look on the left for the online store link.

Congrats on finding the Hobie and this website. You'll love both.

Greg
Posted By: Greg

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/16/06 09:23 PM

I used the antipitchpole foils for a while, and I believe they performed their task well. After a while I took them off because I felt they were slowing me down.
Greg
H16, H14
Posted By: rhodysail

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/17/06 01:15 AM

Congrats on the new boat.
Check out the local scene:

http://www.div14.hobieclass.com/

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/17/06 04:29 AM

Lots of good and helpful info (and people) here. Thank you!

Got to take her out today on her first voyage as the new owner. The winds were very light which was perfect for a new cat sailor. Luckily, there is a great cat community here in OKC and the folks out on cat beach today were great. They are getting the old Hobie fleet up and active again and I'm looking forward to that also. I plan to crew my boat in the upcoming Hobie regatta at the end of the month here in OKC.

This is a great site. I've found all kinds of goodies that I wanna buy. Must convince wife now....

Alan
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/17/06 05:37 AM

Alan:

I suggest you try to borrow some harnesses form fellow sailor before you make final decision. If you plan to spend a lot of time in the harness take a serious full at a full that has the lumbar support. You can move it around till you find the right spot. I really like mine and have no sore back anymore that I use to get with the old diaper type from the old days. Have the straps on the legs really takes the pain off the crotch.

Doug and Ashleigh Snell
Hobie 17
Sunfish
Soon to be Mystere 4.3
www.tcdyc.com
Posted By: CMerrell

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/17/06 12:41 PM

Crotchless for comfort, nappy for, ah, survival of the species?

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/17/06 01:34 PM

Alan:

I suggest you try to borrow some harnesses form fellow sailor before you make final decision. If you plan to spend a lot of time in the harness take a serious full at a full that has the lumbar support. You can move it around till you find the right spot. I really like mine and have no sore back anymore that I use to get with the old diaper type from the old days. Have the straps on the legs really takes the pain off the crotch.

Looks like we're leaning toward the Hobie Convertible. I tried one on this weekend and it was very comfortable.
Posted By: newbiesailor

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/17/06 05:59 PM

this may be worthy of a new post but i figured since we are on the topic of trapping... what exactly is the proper technique for hull flying? do you lock the mainsheet or just hold it by hand so you can make small adjustments to everything? and how much should i be able to lean back while trapped out?

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/17/06 06:14 PM

do you lock the mainsheet or just hold it by hand so you can make small adjustments to everything? and how much should i be able to lean back while trapped out?

I'd leave it uncleated in case you get a puff and start to go over.

Leaning angle depends on how much you're trying to counteract the heeling angle of the boat.

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/17/06 06:27 PM

what exactly is the proper technique for hull flying? do you lock the mainsheet or just hold it by hand so you can make small adjustments to everything?

It may be best to get acclimated to the hull flying first and the different ways you can use to keep it flying, ie. mainsheet, steering, hiking out.

[/quote] and how much should i be able to lean back while trapped out? [quote]

Practice this technique while on shore (with helper holding down the boat)and then incorporate with your hull flying. You'll want to be "higher" in the trapeze at first, so you can see everything on the boat and get in and out easier. As you gain experience you may adjust your trapeze lower to gain more leverage.

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/17/06 06:58 PM

thanks guys, i guess i need to lengthen the dogbones a little, when i am flyin high, im about vertical on the boat

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/17/06 07:19 PM

thanks guys, i guess i need to lengthen the dogbones a little, when i am flyin high, im about vertical on the boat
Adjust to what's comfortable for you. Optimally, the crew should be perpendicular to the boat with the skipper a little above so he/she can see over the crew.

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/17/06 07:57 PM

Guys:

I just cleat my main and play the tiller. When hull gets to high head up. To low fall off. Start with angle a little higher till you get use to it. Just takes practice. I won a hull flying contest once. You will get the feel of it with time. It is a lot of fun.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
www.tcdyc.com
Posted By: ReefedOne

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/25/06 05:34 AM

Unless you have biceps and traps like Lou Ferrigno, you're going to have to cleat, and play the tiller, as Doug said... of course to a lesser extent you can use your legs to increase/decrease the extent of your hiking.

In a serious puff you can quickly snap the mainsheet out of the cleat and sheet-out to save yourself. "Don't worry about me, save yourself..." LOL...

Yep, there's somethin' fine about flying a hull uninterrupted for 2 or 3 miles...

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/25/06 05:40 PM

well, now that you mention it... i do have some fairly strong arms from the climbing i do.... there have been times when i wasnt really able to uncleat the main in time and i went over, so ill have experiment around a bit, thanks.

Re: Newbie Trap Harness Question - 04/26/06 03:08 AM

OH and a word of advise. Warp the mainsheet around your hand. I once was on the wire flying a hulls and the trap rope broke. I was trolling int he water and having it wrapped kept me with the boat. Not fun to have to swim to a boat drifting faster than you can swim. You will have a great time once you get the hand of it.

Doug

© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums