Catsailor.com

6:1 downhaul

Posted By: stocke2

6:1 downhaul - 06/07/06 02:44 AM

on the harken 6:1 downhaul for the hobie 16, what is the bottom block attached to?
I had been considering using two single blocks I have laying around to make a downhaul on my boat so it would be easier to pull down, at least till i can afford to buy a 6:1
Posted By: yoh

Re: 6:1 downhaul - 06/07/06 02:07 PM

The Hobie brand downhaul kit comes with some sort of a bracket that can be inserted in the extruded slot in the mast (goes in before the boom is inserted in the same slot). I have a home made 4:1 nock off that uses a similar bracket to hold a violine block in the same place. I think I made this thing before the block style downhaul became class legal.

Patrick

Re: 6:1 downhaul - 06/07/06 06:49 PM

where did you get your bracket at?
Posted By: mbounds

Re: 6:1 downhaul - 06/07/06 11:10 PM

The bracket is the same as the top piece of the main traveller car.

Attached picture 77863-H16_Downhaul.jpg
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: 6:1 downhaul - 06/08/06 01:27 PM

Matt, you're pic did'nt work. Will an eyestrap, secured with two track nuts and screws, work as well?

Re: 6:1 downhaul - 06/08/06 02:57 PM

The eyestrap may not have enough clearance - you would have to use a twist shackle to attach the lower block, or re-reeve the line every time you took the sails off the boat.

I bought a couple of the traveller top plates from the "used parts bin" of my local dealer for $5 each.

Got the photo to work this time . . .
[Linked Image]

Attached picture 77914-16_Downhaul.jpg

Re: 6:1 downhaul - 06/08/06 06:17 PM

how did you get that to stay down, do you use a couple screws with nuts inside the track like the cleat that would normally be there?
and where did you get the peice to attach that cleat or is that part of the block?

Re: 6:1 downhaul - 06/08/06 08:03 PM

[Linked Image]

Is part of the block. #10-32 nuts to fit mast track at catsailor store as well.
Posted By: Vinny_M

Re: 6:1 downhaul - 06/08/06 09:55 PM

This might sound a bit odd, but is there a noticable difference in the performance of a bullet block 6:1 downhaul versus a Carbo 6:1 downhaul? The image Matt placed of his system is Carbo, but the image John placed is a bullet block. Is there a difference performance-wise?

thanks.

Re: 6:1 downhaul - 06/09/06 01:12 PM

My two cents. I think the new carbo line is all about weight reduction, certainly a consideration but obviously more of a concern for the hp dinghy sailor.

I've got the carbo upper, purchased via auction, and 095 lower, purchased online. Price was my major concern.

Re: 6:1 downhaul - 06/10/06 12:19 AM

I don't use either (bullet or carbo). Harken Micro Blocks.

It's important to use square (not hex) nuts to secure the bracket. They will grip the inside of the track, whereas the hex nuts don't.

Even so, I still had a problem with the bracket working up the mast. Used a file to make a flat spot for it (and create a bit of a "ledge" at the top) fixed that problem.

The upper end uses an old tiller extension connector/bolt to replace the ring/pin that holds the gooseneck together. Otherwise, you'll shear the cotter pin right off.
Posted By: mmadge

Re: 6:1 downhaul - 06/10/06 05:33 PM

The nut on the end of the bolt that holds the ring just fell off on my new boat.Matt do you know what size that nut is?

Re: 6:1 downhaul - 06/10/06 08:30 PM

1/4-20? Maybe the next size smaller (#12 I think)
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums