Catsailor.com

Sail measurement protocols

Posted By: Mike Fahle

Sail measurement protocols - 03/10/04 10:22 PM

I sent this message to Bob Curry on Sunday but have not received a response, so I will just throw it out to everyone for comment:

Please look at the Mystere 4.3 website when you have a chance. In the class rules it specifies how sails will be measured. After re-reading that this evening, it occurred to me that the Formula 14 class ought to have something similar in writing so that it is clearly ommunicated and any disputes can be readily resolved. It would be good to do this ASAP in case anyone is having sails made or altered and for sure to have this done before the Spring Fever regatta. Please let me know what you think.

Mike
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Sail measurement protocols - 03/10/04 10:30 PM

Mike, where is the website. You can put URL in here by Clicking on URL in the Instant UBB Code and they typing in the URL.
Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: Jamie Diamond

Re: Sail measurement protocols - 03/10/04 10:37 PM

the Mystere Owners website

Sail Measurement starts on page 8 of this pdf

Posted By: Bob_Curry

Re: Sail measurement protocols - 03/11/04 01:04 PM

Hey guys!

Just got my computer back up and running! I don't know what happened; it would shut itself down when booting
up.
Anyway, I looked at Mike's email and the 4.3/Wave method of measuring the mainsail. I see girths and leech/luff numbers but no sail area calculation. We have to keep in mind this is a "any configuration" class which means you could have a very small mainsail, huge jib and a bigger spin/reacher! What I propose is a small get together at Spring Fever and gather ideas about how we can calculate sail area. I will get with Sabre and bring a sailmakers' method for calculating main/jib/spin-reacher areas.
I knew this would eventually come up and didn't want to get too complicated before we even hit the water. Baby steps as they say!

Thoughts??

Bob
Posted By: Mary

Re: Sail measurement protocols - 03/11/04 02:23 PM

Attached is an example of a possible sail plan for the Formula 14, as first presented in Catamaran Sailor Magazine.

Attached picture 31155-Frankencat.jpg
Posted By: RickWhite

Geez, Mary, Keep it serious! - 03/11/04 02:27 PM

This from the other office..,
Rick
Posted By: Mary

Re: Geez, Mary, Keep it serious! - 03/11/04 02:55 PM

Yeah, well, "serious" is one of the big problems with cat sailing these days. We need less "serious" and more FUN.
Posted By: Dermot

Re: Geez, Mary, Keep it serious! - 03/11/04 11:17 PM

WOWEEEE,

Reminds me of Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne in "The Quiet Man"
Posted By: Mike Fahle

Re: Sail measurement protocols - 03/12/04 01:13 AM

Hi Rick, There is a separate string (eighth down on this forum on my screen) for the Mystere 4.3 owners' website so I thought everyone would know how to access it. In the meantime Jamie Diamond has made it even clearer.

Hi Bob, Well that explains why you have been "ignoring" me! I also had sent you a message asking about what info people who voted on the class rules had conveyed to you (all eleven of them). Did anyone else offer what kind of boat they had, would modify, or would build?

I think if you want to talk about sail measurement at Spring Fever, that is a good idea but we should still at least start that conversation here and now since very few interested sailors will be at Spring Fever and for those who will be there, we ought to at least be prepared to discuss pros and cons of various approaches.
Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: Sail measurement protocols - 03/15/04 02:24 PM

Why not use the ISAF sail measurement rules? I think that is what we live under anyway.

http://www.sailing.org/technical/GuideSailArea.pdf

That way we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

If this class ever reaches the point where we really care about the rules, I would suggest we specify a version of the sail measurement rules. That way when ISAF changes something we don't have to panic.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums