Catsailor.com

Secret weapon

Posted By: Dan Berger

Secret weapon - 03/11/04 01:35 AM

OK, so this is what will be chasing Bob around the course at Spring Fever...

Attached picture 31136-new boat.JPG
Posted By: Berny

Re: Secret weapon - 03/11/04 07:14 AM

Looks good Dan. Have a great regatta and kick butt.
Bern
Posted By: Mike Fahle

Re: Secret weapon - 03/12/04 01:18 AM

Hi Dan. Probably, since the Mysteres will be out in front! :-) See you there!

Mike

Re: Secret weapon - 03/12/04 02:19 PM

Yeah, you're probably right. I have a hard enough time keeping the boat upright!!

I only posted the picture again because I added a TheMightyHobie18 style roller furling jib with a zippered luff. I figured the tramp just wasn't cluttered enough.
Posted By: David Parker

Jib and reacher? - 03/12/04 03:39 PM

Dan, I see that you have both a reacher and a jib. On a previous thread, Bob discussed his sailplan.

Bob wrote: "My 14 with sqtop and big reacher has a combined sailarea of 246sqft. This would allow me a 54sqft jib to make 300."

Bob, I seem to remember that a few years back you cleaned up on the H-14 Turbo crowd by furling your jib upwind. Would you WANT to add the jib to your Maxi? Does the Blaster alone give you all of the headsail you need? Would the added jib be worth the extra complexity, hardware, weight, and cost?

Re: Jib and reacher? - 03/12/04 03:59 PM

The first version of the boat didn't have a jib, and it worked pretty well. The only reason I set it up like that was because I was planning on racing it Portsmouth. I would have taken a bigger hit racing it as a Turbo with Headsail than as a uni with headsail. I'm also planning on leaving the boat on the beach with a bunch of other 14s so we can do a weekly series thing. All the boats are going to be Turbos, so I needed to add the jib, anyway. I also just wanted to see if it helped or hurt any.

I looked into a self-tacking jib, but just didn't want to mess with it and didn't want to spend the money.

I have a feeling that Bob is being quiet about the jib thing because he thinks it is too much. Like I said, I'll be chasing him around, anyway.
Posted By: Sycho15

Re: Jib and reacher? - 03/12/04 04:43 PM

Not to be a spoil-sport or anything, but I think you're going to need rudders for all this racing. I'm pretty sure you're allowed to have rudders in the F14 class

Re: Jib and reacher? - 03/12/04 06:34 PM

Actually, those are the ultra-new, super-secret experimental, STEALTH rudders. You can't see them until you trip over them on the beach. They are a bitch to find if you drop them in the water! I'll be sporting the regular type at Hartwell and Hartsville--y'know, not to have too much of an advantage.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums