Catsailor.com

Quattro 14 plans arrived today

Posted By: Sycho15

Quattro 14 plans arrived today - 04/26/04 07:04 PM

I just recieved my Quattro 14 plans in the mail today Now I can get to converting all the Metric measurements to American and calculating the cost to build.

My boat will probably turn out with a very similar hull form to what is described by the plans, but I'm planning on adding dagger-boards and eliminating the skeg, canting the hulls, and elminiating the deck-lip (by moving the wooden strip to the inside of the hull). I also want to add a "sub-deck" type of stiffening member in the bows that extends a little aft of the mast beam and do away with the forward cross-tube.

It should be a fun summer
Posted By: Berny

Re: Quattro 14 plans arrived today - 04/26/04 10:24 PM

Heaps of fun building boats.
I think I'd be buying some metric measuring equipment, rules, tapes etc. and work to the drawing dimensions to remove the problems associated with incorrect conversion calcs. Metric is much easier to work with than the very painful imperial system. It'd be a good exercise.

You don't need a 'sub-deck' to stiffen the bows on a 14. If you need anything (debatable) lay up some carbon on the inside side walls of the hulls from the front chainplates to side chainplates. Less weight and and plenty strong enough if you use the right weight cloth and epoxy resin. How far from the bows is the main beam?

Good luck with the project.
Bern

Re: Quattro 14 plans arrived today - 04/27/04 03:53 AM

Actually, after looking at the plans more closely, I see that the "bow beam" is a Quattro 16 feature and can be left out on the Quattro 14.

The mast-beam is about 2 meters from the bow.
Posted By: dannyb9

Re: Quattro 14 plans arrived today - 04/27/04 02:05 PM

i agree about keeping it metric. my recent kayak building experience made it clear that metric is easier for me. my oukoume plywood panels were metric too.
Posted By: Berny

Re: Quattro 14 plans arrived today - 05/02/04 10:11 PM

What mods are you contemplating Brian? Have you developed a 'template' to take full advantage of the (draft) F14 specs?
Bern

Re: Quattro 14 plans arrived today - 05/03/04 02:26 PM

I want to make the bows verticle and flatten out the hull rocker. I want to raise the bow section to the highest height of the mast beam (like the condor). I want to change the hull sections to a more rounded-V shape if I can get the plywood to take the bend. I want to add daggerboards and cant the hulls.

I'll most likely go with an 8' beam and 24' mast. What I don't know much about... is exactly where the mast-beam and dagger-boards should go. I need to figure out how much sail area the 24' stick can hold (Bob said 125-135, which leaves 165-175 for the reacher).

Just to throw a wrench into my plans... I may end up buying a Searunner 37 next month and putting the F14 off for a year However... at that point I'd be willing to sell my G-Cat and H14 to fund the F14 project
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums