Catsailor.com

H-14T Conversion

Posted By: rmatos

H-14T Conversion - 03/29/06 12:15 AM

I have a Hobie 14, which I have not used in 3 years.
Every Year, around my Birthday, I get the bug to want to put it back together. It’s that time again. I know what she needs to be usable again, but I would also like to breath new life into her. The F-14’s sound super and the maxi H14’s I’ve seen are hot. The boat has a factory Dolphin Striker and the jib sheets on the tramp. Someone please send me a high res photo of a maxi H14 or a description of what and how to put it all together. I am going to the Flee market at Dolphin Stadium this weekend and hope to be able to pick up everything I need there. Thanks..
Posted By: Dan Berger

Re: H-14T Conversion - 03/29/06 10:29 PM

I'll get some pictures at Spring fever, so It will be a few weeks before I can show you. The hardest thing to find is the spin pole if you want a used one. Try getting a "Skinny" brand windsurfer mast, or at least a newer thinner style. It is important to get the plastic base so you have some kind of backing for the pole against the front beam.

If you can get some Oxen blocks, get them. Other than that, you will probably have to make all the rigging. It is a pretty easy conversion!!

If you want a Hooter sail, I have one that I would sell.

Dan
Posted By: David Parker

Re: H-14T Conversion - 03/30/06 01:59 AM

Here are some photos of Bob Curry's Turbo. The boat itself was nothing special and the hooter rig looked like is was made of old PVC and duct tape. However, he kicked our butts. In my opinion, the mainsail was the real "Turbo". Sure, the headsail rocked off the wind but the main was driving all the time and Bob made it point high and go fast. But then Bob's no slouch, eh?

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 71338-Hobie 14 MAXI1.jpg

Re: H-14T Conversion - 03/30/06 02:01 AM

Sorry the first photo came out so huge. It's only 275K. I'll just attach the other two.

Attached picture 71339-HOBIE 14 MAXI2.jpg

Re: H-14T Conversion - 03/30/06 02:05 AM

You can write a PM to Bob Curry for more info. He recently posted on the main forum and uses his own name as username. You'll find him.

Attached picture 71341-HOBIE 14 MAXI3.jpg

Re: H-14T Conversion - 03/30/06 02:08 AM

OK, one last photo of Bob. This one shows what it feels like to race against him.

Attached picture 71342-jato3.jpg
Posted By: rictorn

Re: H-14T Conversion - 03/27/07 10:48 PM

hi i am doing somthing similar with 16 foot hulls and a f16 are you doing it on the cheep? if so you should be able to get a windsurfer mast spinny pole for nothing, yacht genoa with furller maybe £100 (prob cheeper in the states) for hooter and any sail maker should be able to sow extentions onto the leach of your main for a few dollers more,

the only thing with the hobie f14 do ppl think they need tt foil rudders? to prevent pitcing???
Posted By: vaplayero

Re: H-14T Conversion - 04/09/07 11:15 PM

Hey Ricardo,

Happy Birthday!!!!

I have a pole (converted windsurfing mast) with an installed furller and a Hooter sail that I would be willing to part with. All you have to do is put a bolt on the front beam to insert the pole on, a place a pulley on the mast for the halyard and buy halyard line. The jib blocks work for me. Admittely however Oxen blocks are much better.

Let me know if you are interested.
Cheers, Waldo
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums