Catsailor.com

Mossie 2nd try

Posted By: smc

Mossie 2nd try - 11/21/06 06:48 AM

Hi All, Looking at getting a Mossie, previously had one (1500) but only sailed it a few times. Looked at one the other night (1683) but it was in a bit of a state, hasn't been sailed for a year or so. Has hull repairs near the forward beam, old clunky fittings. Looking at another this weekend (1780) currently in S.A. Anyone know the boat?

Scott
Posted By: PeterCobden

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 11/21/06 08:23 AM

Scott, Sorry I don't know 1780, but 1786 is for sale 2 1/2 seasons old minimum weight, cat rig.

Peter
Posted By: wildtoy

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 11/21/06 10:56 AM

here's a picture of 1780
http://www.catsailor.com/forums/download.php?Number=89255

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 11/21/06 09:26 PM

Thanks Peter, do you have any more info on 1786?

Looks like it, but I think that one is actually 1790.
Posted By: Tim_Mozzie

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 11/21/06 11:47 PM

Yes that's 1790 - Peter Nikitin's boat Bee Alert.

I've never heard of or seen 1780. I'm guessing it would be a home built plywood boat since Chris trewern was the only one making foam boats at the time.
Posted By: PeterCobden

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 11/22/06 12:21 AM

1786 is Rob Lotts boat and his contact details are on the VMCA contacts list. The boat is Single Kevlar, Cat rig with trailer.
Is
Peter

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 11/22/06 12:46 AM

1780 is a timber home built job, supposedly around 1998, does this sound right? It has sloop rig. I'm looking at it on Friday and if it's as described will be racing it on Saturday.

1786 would be out of my price range, I'm looking at the "budget" end at the moment <$3000.
Posted By: Darryn

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 11/22/06 10:26 AM

Where abouts was it built? There was a Mozzy built in South East, South Australia about that time, make sure it has been measured.

Darryn

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 11/23/06 12:32 AM

Not sure exactly where it was built, in SA is all I know. Not sure if it's been measured either... If a boat hasn't been measured what are the consequences? Do many boats fail measurement? I know you need to be measured for Nationals/State racing but I only plan on doing local club races anyway.

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 11/23/06 11:10 AM

Ah well, not to worry about 1780, the guy sold it before I got to see it. If there's any others out there that are for sale in the <$3000 range, please let me know.

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 11/23/06 09:58 PM

Below is a link to a document explaining the why and how of measurement.
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~nmcca/doc/Mosquito_BRR.pdf

This is a great checklist prior to purchase if the measurement certificate of a Mosquito cannot be located. It doesn't take long to complete.
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~nmcca/doc/NMCC_Measurement_Form.pdf

If it doesn't measure as a Mosquito then what yardstick are you going to use when club racing? Hard to sell it for more then the value of the fittings if it is an orphan. Sure it may fit in to a Formula but slow formula boats often sell for less then their component value, skiffs are a good example.

Boats fail measurement sometimes, usually it can be fixed. Hull girth measurements and a few other areas probably not.

Some "Mosquitos" and "Taipans" have been built which dont measure, 1 of each in South East, South Australia, that I know of, ring state measurers prior to purchase if in doubt.

Darryn

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 11/23/06 11:44 PM

Some "Mosquitos" and "Taipans" have been built which dont measure, 1 of each in South East, South Australia, that I know of, ring state measurers prior to purchase if in doubt.

Excellent, thanks for that info. 1780 was from SE South Aus and was cheap, so maybe that's why?

There's another boat I've looked at which I can get cheap but everything on it is old and average looking. But, could do for a while to get out on the water and have a play.

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 03/20/07 12:08 AM

Still looking for a boat.. was hoping something decent <$3000 would come up but no luck thus far. Now considering extending the budget. There's a few timber boats for sale but for a little more there's some kevlar boats. Is it worth stretching even more to the kevlar?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 03/20/07 09:52 AM

Hi SMC,

what about "Luff Bite", it's not young but a good sound Fibreglass boat with good shape. I have looked at it closely with the previous owner. It is now For Sale at Somers.

More details on Vic Mossie Site.
Posted By: Tony_Snape

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 03/21/07 08:49 PM

Scott

I have my mossie for sale.. price is negotiable.
http://www.catsailor.com/forums/sho...88&an=0&page=2#Post95388

Tony

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 03/26/07 02:45 AM

what about "Luff Bite", it's not young but a good sound Fibreglass boat with good shape. I have looked at it closely with the previous owner. It is now For Sale at Somers.

I had a look at this boat on the weekend. Interesting, but needs a few things here and there, I guess all boats do...

I have my mossie for sale.. price is negotiable.
http://www.catsailor.com/forums/sho...88&an=0&page=2#Post95388

Tony

Thanks Tony, I spoke to you a little while back about the boat, still on the consideration list. I might have to make a trip to SA and check out a few of the boats that are for sale there.

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 03/26/07 03:51 AM

I heard Tony sold his boat on the weekend. Should be able to confirm it shortly,
Darryn
Posted By: Tony_Snape

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 03/26/07 04:45 AM

Scott

Yes I sold my mossie on Saturday morning got $2800... on the hunt for a nice TS now.

Cheers
Posted By: angrydragon1676

Re: Mossie 2nd try - 03/26/07 06:25 AM

Hi Scott, or anyone else interested.

I am really keen to move Angry Dragon on.
I am coming to Melbourne in a few weeks and could deliver for no extra cost.
Price is very negotiable.
Has lots of gear new this season. Sails, Mast, Beams, rigging etc..
Call me: Ph: 0416 299 602

Regards
Chris Dean
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums