Catsailor.com

Bridle hull plate repair - help? any suggestions?

Posted By: furr_ball

Bridle hull plate repair - help? any suggestions? - 12/14/09 10:12 AM

Hi,

Pulled the bridle plate off the port hull back at Easter, did a quick fix with a piece of metal screwed over the top and epoxied down. Later put same repair to stbd side to prevent plate ripping off. Both have held till now but look ugly and were only ever temporary.

Had always planned to do permanent repair job, thought I'd better get it done before Nats.

The underlying timber reinforcing appears to have little hold for the screws anymore, maybe a few holes and repairs have occurred before?

Do I cut a hole in the deck and replace the timber block underneath?

Then replace deck and glass over?

Am I going to weaken the deck / hull integrity due to 2 joints across the deck now?

Do I just reinforce the deck with glass and use a broader plate to spread load, much like I've done but make it look pretty?

Second option does not involve cutting through deck surface.

Interested in any comments.

Attached picture PortBridleRepair09.web.jpg
Posted By: greymatter

Re: Bridle hull plate repair - help? any suggestions? - 12/22/09 10:35 PM

cut the deck and replace the timber inside, fiberglas the reinforcement in. and replace the deck you dont need to replace the complete deck just an area large enough to repair the damage. deck wont have fiberglass on it but coat both sides with epoxy to seal the timber deck should be 3mm marine ply.
Posted By: furr_ball

Re: Bridle hull plate repair - help? any suggestions? - 12/23/09 12:51 AM

Cheers for comment.
Have had no time to fix anyway, so it will just stay as is until after nats I think.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums