Catsailor.com

plywood hulls

Posted By: daniel

plywood hulls - 02/06/10 09:27 AM

when people upgrade to carbon hulls what becomes of thier old hulls?
Posted By: greymatter

Re: plywood hulls - 02/07/10 02:42 AM

When changing to a set of new glass hulls, you should get a complete platform, new beams, striker stap and post (dont use old beams or straps on a new boat).
This would have a new sail number with it, so you would have to change the number on your sail, if you wish to use the old rig on the new boat.
Your old platform could be sold off.
Posted By: Peter_Lyons

Re: plywood hulls - 02/08/10 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by daniel
when people upgrade to carbon hulls what becomes of thier old hulls?

I know some guys with a chainsaw who managed to get an old, somewhat rotten 16 foot cat into several wheely bins whistle

On a more serious note, are you looking to buy or sell or just interested?
Posted By: wdt

Re: plywood hulls - 02/09/10 06:32 AM

Peter, are your hulls still the originals? If yes, they have performed exceptionally well given the work that they have had.
regards, previous and original owner.
Wayne

Re: plywood hulls - 02/09/10 09:37 AM

looking at options for replacing a very old set of wooden hulls, don't want to spent $8000 for carbon hulls though.
i have seen the estimations that for about $1000 for materials you can build hulls, was wondering if any for sale and how much?
Posted By: Peter_Lyons

Re: plywood hulls - 02/09/10 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by wdt
Peter, are your hulls still the originals? If yes, they have performed exceptionally well given the work that they have had.
regards, previous and original owner.
Wayne

Yes Wayne, the Lemon Peel (with original hulls) is still going strong.
Back in 2007 I did a complete overhaul where I removed the beams, stripped the paint (see photo), reglassed along the bottom and re-painted.
I have replaced the mast and boom with new sections from the mossie association and transferred the fittings across.
The mainsheet that was on the boat when I bought it finally parted on Saturday and I bought a new one yesterday.
After 3 seasons at Sugarloaf I have worked up to mid fleet and have even managed two wins this season. I am starting to think about a newer boat (or hulls) but the finances will keep me waiting for at least 12 months. When I get to that stage there may be a cheap set of hulls (in good condition) that are on the market.

In regard to Daniel, you may want to enquire about putting a wanted ad on the Victirian website to see if you get any interest.

Description: Lemon Peel Sans paint
Attached picture 100_0901_b.jpg
Posted By: colmc

Re: plywood hulls - 02/10/10 02:51 AM

G'day Daniel,

I have a complete wooden platform with boyer centreboards. Paintwork stuffed and will need repainted. If you're interested let me know and I can send you photo's and we can talk price etc.

Re: plywood hulls - 02/11/10 03:59 AM

if you can find good gaboon for sale, with an equal core you could build your own, if you cant find it with equal core dont waste your time.

If you find some please let me know, as all the gaboon in victoria is shi t. but if you are after a glass boat, there is a 20 year old glass boat 1736 for sale on the mosquito web site.
Posted By: wdt

Re: plywood hulls - 02/11/10 06:02 AM

Peter,
Looks like you have done a top job with Lemon Peel. I hate to think how many hrs to get back to bare ply, and work up the paint job from there.
Well done to see the old girl is still going.
Wayne
Posted By: Got Wood

Re: plywood hulls - 02/11/10 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by greymatter
if you can find good gaboon for sale, with an equal core you could build your own, if you cant find it with equal core dont waste your time.

If you find some please let me know, as all the gaboon in victoria is shi t. but if you are after a glass boat, there is a 20 year old glass boat 1736 for sale on the mosquito web site.

www.denmanmarine.com.au Could be the answer aussie builders are looking for.

Re: plywood hulls - 02/13/10 07:10 AM

am interested sent some photos

thanks Daniel
Posted By: colmc

Re: plywood hulls - 02/13/10 07:42 AM

Daniel,

Please PM me your email address.

Re: plywood hulls - 03/29/10 07:07 AM

any one else interested in building a new mosquito, this ply looks good if we could get a bulk order and split the shipping charge as statted, $170 for shipping 4 sheets or 14.

this is a reply from Andrew Denman of Denman marine

4 sheets of 4mm to Melbourne Metro is $300 for the ply and $170 for the freight. Another 10 sheets (total 14) would cost the same freight i.e. $170. This is due to the minimum freight charge imposed by the freight companies.

Let me know what you would like to do.

regards,
Andrew Denman
Director
Denman Marine Pty Ltd
www.denmanmarine.com.au

other wise is there a local supplier of this ply coming from France, dont even bother with the sh it from china it isnt what it is suposed to be.

Also my boat greymatter will be for sail, if there is any intrest.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums