Catsailor.com

Season comes to an end

Posted By: Simon C

Season comes to an end - 04/04/10 12:08 AM

I was doing my usual pre put in the garage inspection and found this crazy Other side as well though not quite as bad... Lucky to make it back to the beach I reckon. And so, the winter repairs start early cry

Attached picture crack.jpg
Posted By: Nic M

Re: Season comes to an end - 04/05/10 04:42 AM

That is too bad Simon.....was that on Sat ?? A great days sailing at Rye on Sat and I bet McCrae was just as good.
Posted By: mitchellsailor

Re: Season comes to an end - 04/05/10 08:58 AM

Is this an internal radius beam, or more recent?

The more common/popular way of attatching beams is a bolt and washer on the top with an aluminium sleeve in between to stop the beam compressing therefore using the top and bottom bit of the beam and spreading the load. incase anyone was wondering smile

Re: Season comes to an end - 04/05/10 09:11 AM

Yep. The hole you're looking at provides access to the bolt which tightens against the bottom of the beam. Looking at the other one which has just started to crack, they failed from the top down, suggesting that the oversized access whole was the "design flaw" Glad it wasn't blowing 30 crazy

Cheers
Posted By: Peter_Foulsum

Re: Season comes to an end - 04/06/10 10:17 AM

Hi Simon,

How old are the beams or do they pre-date your ownership ?

See, pushing the Mozzie harder and harder has its price. shocked

Regards,

Peter

Re: Season comes to an end - 04/06/10 01:41 PM

Hi Peter,

Yes the beams do pre date my ownership. Had a couple of good wins though... Hard not to push .. I reckon it's the most fun you can have with your pants on and worth the repairs grin
Posted By: Learning to Fly...

Re: Season comes to an end - 04/07/10 08:15 AM

Simon,
The radius on the hole was as much as the blame as the diameter of the hole. Ideally the hole edge should have been sanded back to a radius of half the material thickness on the upper and lower sides of the hole.

The current hole has a sharp edge to the hole cut-out, this along with a small defect would have caused a stress concentration point. Suggest you drop a hole size and radius the hole with corrosion protection where you have removed the anodising.

Jon
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums