Catsailor.com

Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail.

Posted By: Anonymous

Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/11/10 09:40 AM

Hi all,

everyone is invited to dinner for my 50th Birthday on Saturday the 12th of June 7pm, first day of the Sauna Sail.

I have booked in for the Smorgasboard meal at the RSL club in Morwell. (The regular Pizza Place has closed frown .)
Cost is Adults $14. a head, Children under 14 pay their age. Seemed to be the best deal close to Hazelwood.

Would be great if you can let me know if you would like to be booked in.

Can't believe that my 50th has lined up with the Sauna Sail weekend, I have been celebrating my birthday at the Sauna Sail on and off, most of my life crazy. Including my 21st at the Latrobe Valley Yacht Club grin.

Hope to see you all at the Sauna Sail, would be great if the Mossies are the biggest fleet again cool.
Posted By: Trevor

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/13/10 12:24 PM

Hi Gary

Happy birthday for then - Book my mob up for 4 Adults and a high chair!

NOR and online entry is now up on the LVYC website (use the link from the Vic Mossie website).

Trevor
Posted By: Tim_Mozzie

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/13/10 12:33 PM

Here's the entry list:

Sauna Sail entries

Only two mosquitoes so far!!!!!!
Outnumbered by Taipans !!!!!!!!!!
But more than all other classes (phew).
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/14/10 08:34 AM

I'll be there on the front of a Tornado. My first Sauna Sail. Looking forward to it.

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/14/10 10:28 AM

Hi Trev,

your 4 and a 1/2 are on the list. Look forward to seeing you there.

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/14/10 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tornado_ALIVE
I'll be there on the front of a Tornado. My first Sauna Sail. Looking forward to it.

Hi Steve,

what Tornie are you on the front of? One thing you can guarantee, you will have never sailed a regatta like it crazy. Make sure you keep your eyes open, the Tornies are a handful in confined spaces. wink

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/14/10 11:37 AM

Crewing for Andy Griffin on AUS321. Mix fleet (multi/mono) is always an eye opener. Kite runs in the fog should be fun.
Posted By: JeffS

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/14/10 01:05 PM

Keep him away from the 14 skiffs, he took the wing off one with his sidestay a couple of years ago. No kite runs in the fog, when it's foggy theres not much wind.
Posted By: Simon C

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/14/10 02:35 PM

Hi Gary,

It'll have to be happy birthday from afar from me. I'd hoped to make it sporting a new sail number wink but I think I'll run out of time.

Despite what everyone tells you, turning 50 is a traumatic event that will likely leave you curled up on the floor in the foetal position without hope for any kind of useful future laugh laugh

Luckily for you, it is a well documented fact, in respected medical journals from around the world, that sailing a catamaran will provide an almost instant cure for “post half centennial depression” leaving you with an abundance of youthful vigour at your disposal to attack the next half century.

Sail well and spare a thought for the older mono-maran sailors who will never benefit from this mystical cure!

Happy Birthday.

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/15/10 04:22 AM

Phew 3 mozzies entered whistle
Thanks Matt - at least we are now equal largest class so far!
Posted By: Matt_Stone

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/16/10 12:37 AM

dont worry tim, i never miss sauna sail, best winter regatta

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/16/10 01:50 AM

G'day Gary, book us in for 4 adults and 2 kids as my eldest will pay $14 anyway. Thats if you can handle 5.7 and Arrow sailers crashing your show.
Posted By: mitchellsailor

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/16/10 11:33 AM

Just the one eating the amount of many from my family Gary wink

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/16/10 11:38 AM

2 for me gary,
and maybe peter dunk and jamie maybe! waiting for response
Posted By: air_apparent

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/17/10 01:28 AM

what ? miss a 50th birthday NO Way

air apparent is already packed
2 adults with 2 more (adults) possible if I can talk the kids into it kates keen to come, james who knows??
look forward to sailing on the pond....

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/17/10 07:48 AM

Hi Al Presidente (Simon),

you must have missed the fine print on the contract. I was sure it states, VMCA pres must attend all Mosquito functions wink.

I just hope I make it to my 50th, planning to run the Traralgon Marathon the week before sick .

Sorry you wont be at Sauna Sail, catch you next season. cry

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/17/10 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by JeffS
G'day Gary, book us in for 4 adults and 2 kids as my eldest will pay $14 anyway. Thats if you can handle 5.7 and Arrow sailers crashing your show.

Hi Jeff,

you are more than welcome, it's a open invitation, if you visit this forum your in grin . Who knows there could even be some mono maran sailors attending shocked , some of my family have not yet seen the light wink .

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/17/10 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by mitchellsailor
Just the one eating the amount of many from my family Gary wink

Hi Mitchell,

thats why I made it at a place that does all you can eat smorgasbord. sick

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/17/10 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Matt_Stone
2 for me gary,
and maybe peter dunk and jamie maybe! waiting for response

2 are on the list, let me know if the others happen.

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/17/10 08:01 AM

Hi Gordon,

great you can make it smile , 2 are on the list let me know about the others.

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/17/10 09:35 AM

hello fellow mossie sailors

who is sailing with spin, so far gary is,
i like to know so i can choose if its worth it or not

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/17/10 11:04 AM

9 Mossies entered now! laugh

I will decide on the Sat whether to go with the kite or not, Mostly its a bit of work in the light winds... Convince me smirk

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/17/10 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
... Convince me smirk

Might give a Tornado a hurry up in the light winds.

Will that do?

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/18/10 03:19 AM

So if Matt sails with a Mrs Parma keg of beer strapped to his tramp, is he allowed to put a jib on?
Is he allowed to drink it while racing (won't other sailors get jealous)?

Nine entries already (1/3 of the fleet) - very exciting cool laugh cool

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/18/10 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Matt_Stone
hello fellow mossie sailors

who is sailing with spin, so far gary is,
i like to know so i can choose if its worth it or not

Hi Matt,

don't worry about going spin to keep me company, I am happy to sail in the mixed fleet and give the Tornado's and others a hard time crazy . What do you think Steve wink.

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/18/10 10:28 AM

tim

how did the beer come into it? we must have different views on who is mrs parma and her 5 daughters? lol

gary,

the spin i want to put on cos its heaps more fun, but i want competition too, but if only 2 its not really worth it for me bu t we'll see

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/18/10 10:40 AM

More spinnakers the better. Light weather the lighweight Mossie can do a lot of damage on the downwind, especially if they round the top mark in pressure.

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/18/10 10:43 AM

how did the beer come into it?

This is how:

Mrs Parmas microbrewery

Is that your crew or not?

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/18/10 10:46 AM

ok thats a different mrs parma

ill tell you on the weekend at sauna if u havent figured it out. im talking about the new age mrs parma hehehehe

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/18/10 11:39 AM

But she's got five sisters as well - how many can there be?!!!

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/18/10 11:42 AM

when your feeling lonely mrs parma and her five daughters will always be there to "excite" you....... any young man will know this mrs parma, haha

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/19/10 09:16 PM

I see. Curious that someone would choose to use that as a brand name for a beer!

That's almost as bad as the dry cleaning company that decided to call itself "Touching Cloth".

Sorry - the tone of this thread is going right down into the gutter.

Ten mosquitoes entered now!

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/20/10 03:42 AM

Come on mossie sailors join in at sauna sail,

best winter regatta,
Posted By: Nic M

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/21/10 06:55 AM

Hi Matt,

I won't be sailing as the body is broken at the moment but. I will be there to lend moral support to the Mossies.

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/21/10 08:39 AM

ahhh... old age sucks like that :p speaking of age to count as a junior for sauna sail you have to be under 16! they're charging a 17 year old double the amount
*p.s I realise none of you care smile

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/21/10 09:13 AM

Nic,

thats good, more you hang around us the more you learn.
Mitch, harden up haha

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/21/10 01:42 PM

ahhh... old age sucks like that

Well Nic... How do you feel now? cry Diss'd by the 17 year old - Nice one Mitch laugh

Seriously though, we all hope the op went well and you are recovering.

Trevor

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/25/10 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Nic M
Hi Matt,

I won't be sailing as the body is broken at the moment but. I will be there to lend moral support to the Mossies.

Hi Nic,

I also may be only good for moral support by the Sauna Sail weekend, I am running the Traralgon Olympic Distance Marathon the Sunday before crazy. Just don't be surprised if I need a hand to get to the water wink.

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/25/10 07:37 AM

speaking of age to count as a junior for sauna sail you have to be under 16! they're charging a 17 year old double the amount
*p.s I realise none of you care smile

Hey Mitch,

your getting old, watch out people will be expecting you to act like a adult next eek. Welcome to the real world, you'll have to work more to make money for entries cry. Matt was right, eat some concrete. grin

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/25/10 08:01 AM

Hey if they're gonna charge me adult prices i want adult priviliges too! I can't drive a car with out my mum and I can't buy alchohol *legally!

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/25/10 10:22 AM

You are a sick man Garry laugh

Seriously, I am very impressed.........the shoulder and chest hurt even more thinking about it. I am hoping to be back on the water in time for the McCrae winter series.

See you in a couple of weeks.

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/26/10 07:17 AM

Hey if they're gonna charge me adult prices i want adult priviliges too! I can't drive a car with out my mum and I can't buy alchohol *legally!

OK then, you get charged kids rates wink .Does that mean we don't have to feed you as much as a adult either laugh.
Posted By: Peter_Foulsum

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 05/26/10 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by thricebitten

I also may be only good for moral support by the Sauna Sail weekend, I am running the Traralgon Olympic Distance Marathon the Sunday before crazy. Just don't be surprised if I need a hand to get to the water wink.

Hi Gary,

On the other hand you may just walk on water. grin

Regards,

Peter

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/06/10 06:32 AM

Hi all,

not sure if all of you will think this is good news wink , but I survived the Traralgon Marathon held earlier today. Finished under 4 hours, was looking good at 30km mark passing it around 2hrs 30 mins smile . But the legs packed up after that cry. Luckily my arms are still working so I can still use the computer smile , but the legs are gone sick . Hope they are working by next weekend tired .

Looks like 11 Mossies entered now, with a few late ones should be a good fleet cool. Should out number other classes again, look forward to the look on the A and Taipan guy's faces again blush.

If anybody hasn't booked with me, for Saturday Nights Meal at the Morwell RSL, please contact me ASAP, as numbers are topping 45 and booking is for 50, look forward to seeing you all and doing a bit of handicapping Saturday night laugh .
Posted By: Peter_Foulsum

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/06/10 10:50 AM

Hi Gary,

Congratulations and well done finishing the marathon. cool I bet no other sailor could attest to running a marathon no matter what elapsed time. wink

If the conditions are normal for next weekend you won't need your legs. laugh You will just need someone to carry you to the water. grin And if your arms are still working then no-one else has a chance. smile

Good luck to all the Mozzie sailors for next weekend.

Regards,

Peter

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/10/10 07:19 AM

The good news:

We have 13 entries so far and only one other class has made it to double digits.

The bad news:

We are in danger of being outnumbered by Optimists!

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/10/10 07:51 AM

but surely we are twice the boat?
Posted By: air_apparent

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/10/10 09:19 AM

Gary

my crew is onboard for your 50th so can you add one more to our lot thanks

see you soon heading down tomorrow (friday)

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/11/10 12:21 PM

Awesome figures.
119 entries overall smile
14 Mosquitoes smile
16 Optimists crazy
No others in double digits.

Should be a good weekend

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/15/10 12:21 PM

Great weekend - though a bit light at the end to say the least.

Pity the channel nine coverage was filmed on Monday (barely any wind at all).

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/15/10 12:47 PM

Good results from Tim, Matt and Gary

A bit more wind would have been nice, but could have been dangerous too.
Posted By: MitchB

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/16/10 12:19 PM

Thanks for Saturday night Gary!

It was a good reggatta this year despite the light wind! I'm not sure how anybody else found that top mark rounding in the final race... but it was chaos... and a lot of fun! We managed to consume a Laser... the young sailor had to punt himself off our kite pole before the forbeam swept him off his feet... all at VERY low speeds!

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/16/10 09:50 PM

Liz took a pile of photos of that race, heres some photos of that start and rounding. You would have had more wind if it wasn't for the pesky Mozzys everywhere.

Attached picture IMG_0935.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0947.jpg

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/17/10 03:40 AM

Hi All,

Some additional photos. I have sent through the bulk of the photos I took for upload to the Mossie albums.

Attached picture IMG_3385.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3400.jpg

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/19/10 04:40 AM

Hi all,

great photo's, thanks to those that took them, David will hopefully be able to use some for mossie article for magazine, I forgot my camera as usual which I had intended to take on the water photo's with. I hope to write some Mossie bias stuff for Fast Cat Division, anybody else want to do some for Mossie Div?

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/19/10 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by JeffS
Liz took a pile of photos of that race, heres some photos of that start and rounding. You would have had more wind if it wasn't for the pesky Mozzys everywhere.

Hi Jeff,

looks to me like the pesky Mossies have already left the start line wink in one of those photo's. grin

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/19/10 06:40 AM

Let me know if anyone needs the Hi Res versions of the pics and i will be happy to email them.

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/19/10 08:22 AM

Good job with the photo's

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/19/10 01:28 PM

I've put up a pile of full resolution photos at
http://beachcatsaustralia.ning.com/photo/albums/sauna-sail-2010-1
You can download the full res photos if you want them
I had a great weekend again it was great catching up with so may people

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/20/10 07:16 AM

Hi Jeff,

great lot of photo's really catches the mood of the Sauna Sail, almost poetic when you watch them in slide show, just needs some classical music behind it. smile
Posted By: MitchB

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/20/10 08:22 AM

Does anybody have any photos of the stingray with kite up? (yeah yeah get off this is mozzy forum)

I would love to try and get some fellow stingray sailors to go kite! (yes there are some fellow stingray sailors)

Mitch

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/20/10 09:22 AM

Mitch,

Here is the only pic I got of the Stingray with the kite up. Let me know if you want the full size version.

All the best.

Attached picture IMG_3367.jpg

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/20/10 10:17 AM

I was let loose on the helm for the last race...... Shame there was no wind for it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/20/10 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by MitchB
Does anybody have any photos of the stingray with kite up? (yeah yeah get off this is mozzy forum)
I would love to try and get some fellow stingray sailors to go kite! (yes there are some fellow stingray sailors)
Mitch

I was going to post these on your site but couldn't remember how to do it, these photos are what I posted on the Beachcats site

Attached picture Stinger1.jpg
Attached picture Stinger2.jpg
Attached picture Stinger3.jpg

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/23/10 07:23 AM

[quote=Tornado_ALIVE]I was let loose on the helm for the last race...... Shame there was no wind for it.

Hi Stephen,

I was wondering why I beat the Tornado over the line grin.
You just have to stop giving me these opportunities. wink

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 06/23/10 07:32 AM

Hi all,

short report pilfered from the VMCA site. Thanks to who ever wrote it.

Another great Sauna Sail weekend has been and gone. Although the two races on Saurday had plenty of wind for trapezing, Sunday and Monday turned light. There was the occasional short shower (mainly on those that arrived Friday night) but other than than that it was a dry and mild weekend.

Twelve Mosquitoes made up the Mosquito division and two more sailed with spinnakers in the fast cat division. As usual the racing was close in the Mosquito division with Matt Stone, Garry Johnstone, Tim Shepperd, Neil Joiner, and Mitchell Meade all making the running at various times. Overall it was usually Tim or Matt that came out on top when it mattered and they finished up on equal points.

In the fast cat division Gary Maskiell took first place on handicap in 3 of the 5 races (it could have been 4 but one race was abandoned for this division), and obviously enjoyed the flukey winds on his home waters. (Garys note, don't forget the line honors in the last race for the Mossie with Spinnaker, ahead of A's and Tornies. grin )

Dinner at the RSL for Gary's 50'th was enjoyed by a big crowd, and the next day Di, Sandra, Veronica and Jenny once again produced a magnificent roast on the open fire, with apple crumble for dessert (how do they do it?).

Re: Gary M's 50th. at Sauna Sail. - 07/11/10 08:01 AM

Hi all,

following is my very bias report I promised, some time ago.

“Thrice Bitten” Mosquito with Spinnaker V’s Division 1, Sauna Sail 2010.

As always the Latrobe Valley Yacht Club “Sauna Sail” on the Queens Birthday Weekend in June, at the Hazelwood Cooling Pond looked like it would be a challenge. Light winds and showers where forecast all weekend, with typical for Victoria in June low teen top temperatures. The pre entries by Mosquito’s again looked promising though, with 11 Mosquito’s entered plus 2 with spinnaker.

More than 10 boats meant the Mosquito’s had their own Division and start, so the 2 Mosquito’s with spinnaker (cat rigs) joined Division 1 for fast mixed cats. This meant we could race 7 other cats with spinnakers, as included in the 28 entries in this large division where, 2 x Tornado’s, F18 Hobie Tiger, F16 Viper (sloop), F16 Taipan (cat), Taipan 5.7 with spinnaker and a Stingray mk2 with spinnaker. The total entries for the weekend was around 160 boats, slightly down on last year but still one of the biggest regattas in Victoria.

Saturday dawned cloudy with light wind but on the positive side, it looked like the rain had finished overnight. I arrived at the Yacht Club early? To rig my Mosquito with spinnaker “Thrice Bitten” only to see 100 or so boats already rigged or rigging up. I always find that rigging at the Sauna Sail takes longer than any where else, so many people to catch up with, many of whom you only meet once a year at the Sauna Sail. The variety of boats is also interesting, this year there where many youngsters with Oppies and 29ers, classes you didn’t see at all only a few years ago. In fact that was one of the highlights of the weekend, so many youngsters, the future of our sport I hope.

The wind had freshened by the time we where all heading out to the start, for the first of 2 back to back races for the afternoon. The gusts where coming off the southern rock wall so the water was very flat and as the Mosquito accelerated under spinnaker, I was already enjoying the ride just heading for the start line and thinking to myself this could be fun! Starts are always difficult when you have the shortest mast in the fleet, so for me starting windward as close to the favoured end as possible and pointing high is the priority. Trying not to have any boats sail over you as the tall rigs just take all the pressure from the small Mossie rig, this also gives you the ability to tack away from the dirty air, as the Tornado’s and A’s in the big fleet inevitably pull ahead. Thankfully the wind stayed strong enough to trapeze upwind most of the time on the Mossie, which gives the best chance of staying in touch with the faster cats. Once around the windward mark it was kite up and no longer was the Mossie under powered compared to the rest of the fleet, it was time to have fun. The gusts downwind came through in lines and with care and years of spinnaker experience I was able to gybe on the front of the gusts and ride them quickly to the downwind marks. Sooo much fun passing Taipans and A’s as they sail under powered unable to build apparent wind and maximise their higher aspect rigs. This race pretty much set the tone for the weekend, I pointed and tacked regularly on the shifts upwind all weekend as the Tornies and A’s pulled away, while I mixed it with the Taipans and they gradually pulled away. Then downwind I would catch or pass them, to start over again the next upwind, but generally the downwind gains where greater than the upwind losses, so I finished 8th over the line out of 25 finishers and first on Yardstick.

It was getting late by the time the second of Saturdays back to back races started, with the wind strongest at the start and getting lighter through out, things went much the same for me as the first race, but the sun was quickly descending. So a shortened course flag was flown, I thought this was ok as I battled near the front of the fleet sure of another yardstick win, but things don’t always go to plan. The story is the flag was up before some of the backmarkers approached the mark and they proceeded to the finish, dropping two laps instead of the intended one, that the rest of the fleet dropped, to cut a long story short the race was abandoned, bugger.

Sunday morning wind was light as expected mostly around 5 knots, coming from the clubhouse corner, which caused the race officers to run a starboard course, which makes the heavy traffic even trickier around the marks and a heavily bias start line. With the wind so light, some legs of the course allowed carrying of the spinnaker when they shouldn’t have. Which meant more fun for the Mossie with spinnaker, allowing me to finish 5th over the line out of 25 finishers and first on Yardstick.

Sunday afternoon the wind picked up with light rain as we headed downwind for the start, it looked like it could be a exciting afternoon, but it disappeared just as quick. The wind settled in a similar direction to the morning, around 8 knots in strength. Again a very bias start and a starboard course, I decided to take some transoms and start on port, but found myself trapped against a starboard tacker with a A class below me stopping me from taking his transom. This lead to a crash tack and a very poor start in bad air. For the first time for the weekend, I could see just how many boats where in Division one as I was behind nearly all of them. With the wind just enough for most of the division to trapeze, but not the Mossie, it was a real struggle to keep ground upwind. But of course the spinnaker hotted things up down wind, enough for me to finish 12th over the line and 4th on Yardstick, out of 21 finishers.

Monday morning the wind was very light, the fleets where smaller as many didn’t bother to get out of bed. Again a very bias line and starboard course, I think all crossed on port. With light gusts coming off the southern wall, it was possible to carry the spinnaker at times on the work, heaven if you had a spinnaker. Mind you some of the cat rigged Taipans didn’t seem to need one, but occasionally it went glassy, making it difficult to keep moving and a number of divisions caught up to each other. Bedlam at the windward mark, I decided to stay wide, try to keep clear wind and momentum, for what it was worth. Eventually it payed off and with a quick gybe I was off down the run at the head of the fleet. Only problem was there was no wind in the middle of the lake and that is where the next mark was, the fleet split along each wall avoiding the centre, but eventually you had to head that way. It was just lucky that I was able to pick up the zephyrs of breeze that got me to the mark still with the front of the fleet and a shortened course flag, meant head back from where we had come to the finish. The wind had swung about 90 degrees, which made it possible to again carry the spinnaker on what was a very tight reach. I headed as high as possible rather than taking the straight line, as this kept me nearer to the wall were the wind was coming from and away from the light wind in the middle. This payed off as I approached the island and the boats to leeward ran out of wind, leaving me to finish first over the line out of all the fleets, not bad for a Mossie. Sailing in such light winds can be a lottery, but there is a certain satisfaction still when your number comes up. Of course this meant I was first on Yardstick for my division, out of 14 finishers.

Well that was the end of another interesting weekend of sailing, as I said after 45 years of sailing at Hazelwood it is still a challenge every Sauna Sail, often light winds but rarely the same twice. Three wins out of 4 races gave me a clear Division One win and the satisfaction that local knowledge, combined with a 15-year-old Mossie and a spinnaker can over come some of the fastest cats in Victoria. But most importantly, not to take it too seriously, it is after all just a fun regatta, a great excuse to catch up with friends, enjoy special Mossie camp oven meals and get wet. Can’t wait till next year, if you haven’t tried it yet, you don’t know what you are missing.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums